XP Hotfix date problem

mhound

I downloaded all the hotfixes from Microsoft, but the dates are all the same. They only show the date they were downloaded. How do I get an up to date set of hotfixes with the proper dates ?

I ran nlite with the files I got, and it didnt complain, but I would guess the image is no good.

The downloaded hotfixes are actually installer packages. The date on the package itself doesn't matter, it's what's inside the packages that matter. The dates and times of the files inside the hotfixes packages will be fine, the version numbers of the files inside the packages are fine as well, so your complete build will be fine too. Nothing to worry about. But I assume that you'll still test it in a virtual environment and find out yourself as well ;)

That makes sense but I am still confused, because in reading other posts on this subject, they talk about putting the hotfixes in date order... Does this mean I have to extract the hotfixes from the installer package first ?

Ok, things are becoming clearer now, thanks Mara, but to be more clear, on my first effort, I did not sort the files,

so does that mean the image will be incorrect ?

Secondlly when I do start virtual testing is there any obvious way to tell if the image is ok,,, I am thinking maybe there would be WM Player 9 instead of Wpplayer 11 ?

Thanks for all the help !

It don't need to mean that image will be incorrect. It can work perfectly fine. But problems can start for example if you added IE7 and it's hotfixes to the list and you did not sorted by date, then if hotfixes are in higher level on the list then IE7 then hotfixes for IE7 will be integrated before IE7 itself. Now, for testing you can use VmWare or some other program, and after installation on it you can take a look at Event Manager to see is there any errors reported. Also you can test something by yourself. Try to open a few Windows applications, try to install some programs, etc.

Cheers ;)

Ok, I just tried sorting by clicking on the build date, and it partially sorts, but the first few entries are wrong because they start with 2005, and 2006 entries.

I tried to fix these with "drag and drop" mentioned in the "?" icon, but drag and drop doesnt seem to work.

Am I doing something wrong ?

Thanks Mara for all your effort. I figured most of it out and made a Disk which works fine.

Only problem is when I tried to use WMP11 Slipstreamer, and it kept coming up with an error saying There was a bug, and to report it,

I didnt report, as it was probably my bad, and anyway didnt say where to send info.

I just integrated the original WMP11 installer , and I guess it will have to be updated by Windows Update for now.