Vista, Sp1, Imagex, Vlite

banshee28

Ok, since I have my legit copy of Vista Ultimate (VLK) and only a eval edition of vista with sp1 slipstreamed (RTM), I was thinking of installing vista completely in full on my test laptop using the VLK image, then install sp1 with all other updates, then use imagex to grab that image so I can then put it through vlite and re-install as needed. Will this work? I have never tried imagex but it sounds like what I might have to do to use vista with sp1 AND vlite using my current VLK copy of vista?

It sounds like alot of work, but I really need to get vista installed and like the benefits from SP1 even through its still beta.

Ok, since I have my legit copy of Vista Ultimate (VLK) and only a eval edition of vista with sp1 slipstreamed (RTM), I was thinking of installing vista completely in full on my test laptop using the VLK image, then install sp1 with all other updates, then use imagex to grab that image so I can then put it through vlite and re-install as needed. Will this work? I have never tried imagex but it sounds like what I might have to do to use vista with sp1 AND vlite using my current VLK copy of vista?

It sounds like alot of work, but I really need to get vista installed and like the benefits from SP1 even through its still beta.

A. If I understood what you said correctly, then you already have a slipstreamed SP1 version of Vista: "only a eval edition of vista with sp1 slipstreamed (RTM)", you just need to run that through vLite and don't need to do anything else.

B. There's no such thing as Vista Ultimate (VLK). MS did not release a VL Ultimate Edition.

C. If you don't have an integrated SP1, then installing Vista RTM to a partition, entering Audit mode, then installing SP1 on top, then repacking with imagex and vLiting the new WIM will work. Just follow this guide.

Edited by Arneh

let me poke a huge hole in your post..

SP1 isn't "rtm" yet, still beta/pre-beta

No poking my posts :realmad:

:whistle:

actually it's Release Candidate, and pretty much completed at present time :sneaky: What were you expecting, Codename 7 ?

edit: and no, no changes were made in WIMGAPI, see the build 6001 AIK for more details.

Edited by dexter.inside

but my captured image didn't work

my one works. I captured it with ImageX from WAIK 1.1, but after shrinking it with vLite and installing it inside a VM, but the explorer chrashes when I open the Computer Icon :wacko:

You need the corresponding AIK, in this case the one listed together with 2008 and Vista SP1 RC1 on Connect. There probably are new GUIDs in the registry for some of the DLLs in there.

I used the RTM imagex to be honest to repack it and then used vLite against that new .wim, worked great.

In fact, you don't even need to run that .wim through the whole setup again. Just reapply the .wim using imagex after vliting it, it'll go through hardware detection, OOBE etc. and you're in Vista.

Edited by Arneh

Huh seems like I'm not doing it right then.

Can it be that booting to another Vista is the mistake, does it have to be PE?

I personally boot back into my XP install to capture the drive Vista is installed on.

1. Install Vista to a secondary partition. (not the main boot partition)

2. At OOBE, don't do anything and type CTRL-SHIFT-F3 to get into Audit Mode (this is a must)

3. When in Audit Mode, don't close the Sysprep window and install SP1. Let it restart however many times and do its thing.

4. When SP1 is completely installed, in the Sysprep window select OOBE and Generalize and to shutdown the system and select to apply those. Vista should then start shutting down, cleaning out hardware data etc.

5. Restart into XP/another Vista install/WinPE (I really doubt it should make a difference which one you use but I booted back into XP) and run:

imagex /compress maximum /flags "Business" /capture d: c:\install.wim "Windows Vista Business"

replacing the drive letters etc.

That, for me, works. That method has also worked for many other folks I know to get a slipped SP1 install.

vLite against that new install.wim. Not as many have tried this one compared to just Reverse Integrating it and getting a full install.wim, but I have tested it with every build (except Beta 1, just didn't have the time) and have always had success.

As I said though to MagicAndre1981 in a private message, this is a non-issue nevertheless, no one would want to use Reverse Integrated .wims over the actual slipstreamed SP1 media that MS will release and I'm sure obtaining those from MS or from your OEM or buying a $5 Vista disc update thing etc. won't be too difficult.

Edited by Arneh

Arneh, yeah I did all that by following that Winbeta guide but the WIM wasn't mountable later on.

He did write something about do it from XP or PE, not Vista but I thought that he meant not from the Vista which you'll configure.

Anyway thank you both for confirming that the method works, I'll retry it from the XP when the next SP is out.

He did write something about do it from XP or PE, not Vista but I thought that he meant not from the Vista which you'll configure.

Yeah, that is what I meant in the guide, don't boot back into that Sysprepped Vista after you're all done with it. It should make no difference I believe whether you use another Vista or XP to capture it.

Edited by Arneh

• 4 weeks later...
Huh seems like I'm not doing it right then.

Can it be that booting to another Vista is the mistake, does it have to be PE?

I personally boot back into my XP install to capture the drive Vista is installed on.

1. Install Vista to a secondary partition. (not the main boot partition)

2. At OOBE, don't do anything and type CTRL-SHIFT-F3 to get into Audit Mode (this is a must)

3. When in Audit Mode, don't close the Sysprep window and install SP1. Let it restart however many times and do its thing.

4. When SP1 is completely installed, in the Sysprep window select OOBE and Generalize and to shutdown the system and select to apply those. Vista should then start shutting down, cleaning out hardware data etc.

5. Restart into XP/another Vista install/WinPE (I really doubt it should make a difference which one you use but I booted back into XP) and run:

imagex /compress maximum /flags "Business" /capture d: c:\install.wim "Windows Vista Business"

replacing the drive letters etc.

That, for me, works. That method has also worked for many other folks I know to get a slipped SP1 install.

vLite against that new install.wim. Not as many have tried this one compared to just Reverse Integrating it and getting a full install.wim, but I have tested it with every build (except Beta 1, just didn't have the time) and have always had success.

As I said though to MagicAndre1981 in a private message, this is a non-issue nevertheless, no one would want to use Reverse Integrated .wims over the actual slipstreamed SP1 media that MS will release and I'm sure obtaining those from MS or from your OEM or buying a $5 Vista disc update thing etc. won't be too difficult.

Question: Does the above mean that, after copying the RTM Install disk to a temp file on the hard drive, you can simply delete the install.wim file from \spources and copy/paste the new one in; then run vilte??