Sata - NO Raid, Unplugging devices or not?

MizzThang

Hello,

I am thinking about making a slipstream.

I have an XP SP2 home, SATA no RAID drive system.

Before I do, is it necessary to unplug all drives but the C drive?

I had heard that it was essential that to reinstall xp on a SATA system,

that all the HDD, USB, sound cards zips etc had to be unplugged? :(

but I have not seen a thing on the net either way.

Can you be so kind as to clear that up please.

Thank you!

no, this is not essential (if you know which drive 8is the one you want to install to). but it might be advisable to disconnect any other hard drives, and slipstream the SATA driver into the install.

I have done an install on a SATA system with 3 devices connected, and also installed on machines that had ide and sata with the ide being the one for win and vica versa. The reason i would suggest disconnecting all other hd's is so you dont get confused when installing, and also by only having the required hd connected any problems with the SATA driver integration will be show (it wont show a drive to install to if the driver is not integrated properly)

Edited by phkninja

no, this is not essential (if you know which drive 8is the one you want to install to). but it might be advisable to disconnect any other hard drives, and slipstream the SATA driver into the install.

I have done an install on a SATA system with 3 devices connected, and also installed on machines that had ide and sata with the ide being the one for win and vica versa. The reason i would suggest disconnecting all other hd's is so you dont get confused when installing, and also by only having the required hd connected any problems with the SATA driver integration will be show (it wont show a drive to install to if the driver is not integrated properly)

Thank you! It's good to know as I do have more than 1 HDD! :)