Integration of Intel's SATA AHCI and RAID drivers

Fernando 1

the hdds work in ide mode with default windows drivers, yesterday i installed intels sata controllers i downloaded from asrock, but they dont work if i try setting achi in bios.

they look pretty in the device manager tho.

devman.png

the hdds work in ide mode with default windows drivers, yesterday i installed intels sata controllers i downloaded from asrock, but they dont work if i try setting achi in bios.

Please open the "SCSI and RAID Conrtrollers" section too. Which devices do you see there?

Please open the "SCSI and RAID Conrtrollers" section too. Which devices do you see there?

i see "a3m7t000 ide controller"

anyhow, ive managed to make it work.

ive slipstreamed two files i downloaded from the mobo manufacturer, "INF driver ver:9.0.0.1007" (Intel® Chipset Device Software) and "SATA RAID Driver" (iaStor, iaAHCI).

seems like slipstreaming only the sata driver wasnt enuff in my case, i also needed the inf driver.

well, next time i need a clean install ill be enjoying sata, but for now seems its just ide for me.

laters.

nn8t3c.png2wd7fnm.png

ive slipstreamed two files i downloaded from the mobo manufacturer, "INF driver ver:9.0.0.1007" (Intel® Chipset Device Software) and "SATA RAID Driver" (iaStor, iaAHCI).
Both drivers are old and replaced by better ones.

If you will ever do a fresh XP installation, you should slipstream the actual Intel ICH10R SATA AHCI driver (as textmode driver) and the Intel Chipset =INF Drivers (as PnP driver). You will find the download links of both drivers (already prepared for the integration) within my guide.

seems like slipstreaming only the sata driver wasnt enuff in my case, i also needed the inf driver.
You can integrate both drivers, but I don't think, that it is really needed.
well, next time i need a clean install ill be enjoying sata, but for now seems its just ide for me.
Why do you think so? According to your posted screenshot you are currently running the SATA hdd in AHCI mode. The yellow marks just show, that there are still some device drivers needed to get all your hardware running.

Why do you think so? According to your posted screenshot you are currently running the SATA hdd in AHCI mode.

those screenshots are not from the os im currently using, but from the one i slipstreamed the files onto, the one im using on my "main" os is atapy.sys, ide mode.

i probably did something wrong the first times i used nlite, this time i only added the files and burned.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an Intel board (DX38BT) with two RAID controllers, one Intel and the other Marvell. My boot SATA drive is on the Marvell controller. Intel provides f6 files for both controllers on their download page.

From the discussion above I surmise that my nLite installation CD does not see any disk drives because the Marvell drivers are included as PnP. The Marvell f6 files downloaded from Intel do not include a TXTSETUP.OEM. Besides the _.cab, *.inf and _.sys, ttere is instead the file MvCoInst.dll. The Intel Matrix RAID files are identical to the XP pro x64 files provided above.

Thank you in advance for any help with this problem.

@ Prot:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

If your boot RAID device is connected with the Marvell Controller, you have tio integrate the Marvell RAID driver as TEXTMODE.

You are right. Intel doesn't provide any Marvell 61xx RAID driver with the absolutely needed TXTSETUP.OEM file, but I found a suitable driver set for you.

Download and unzip this package and integrate it as textmode driver (don't mix the 32bit and 64bit Drivers/Controllers, just integrate 1 of them depending on the OS you want to install).

I am nearly sure, that your Marvell RAID and its partitions will be detected by the OS Setup.

Good luck!

Fernando

Hello Everyone,

I know it's usually good form to do an introduction before posting questions and the like, but unfortunately I'm on a bit of a timeline so sorry for cutting to the chase.

I'm attempting to install Windows XP on my friend's laptop (at their request), which shipped with Windows Vista. Now, this hasn't been difficult for me to do in the past because the BIOS shipped with Dell computers gives me the freedom to change advanced settings like switching the S-ATA drive to IDE Mode. However, my friend's laptop is a Compaq and the BIOS has extrodinarily limited options, I can't find a place to change that setting anywhere. I figured the problem was most likely related to the hard drive or hard drive controller because the Windows XP install would start up normally, then give me the BSOD before reaching setup options - which is what's happened when I've tried to install on other hard drives still in a RAID configuration.

So, I did some research and found nLite. After reading up on it I figured I could try integrating drivers for the hard disk and IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers from Vista into a custom Windows XP ISO. Unfortunately, nLite only recognized .inf format drivers and the ones I found through the Device Manager were all .sys or .dll. Furthermore; HP/Compaq did not have any updated drivers available for those components on their support page.

As the SATA controller for my friend's laptop is Intel's, this seemed like the best place to pose my question. Any advice or reading material you could forward me to wold be greatly appreciated. I'd even settle for a link to where I could flash my friend's system with a better BIOS as the ones available from Compaq all had the same basic functions. I've attached a screenshot of the hardware profile in question:

51773206.jpg

Edited by BriantK

@ BriantK:

Welcome at MSFN Forums!

Your problem can easily be solved.

It was a good idea to post a screenshot of the Vista Device Manager, because it shows, that the laptop of your friend has an Intel ICH9M Southbridge and that the SATA drive is running in AHCI mode.

So you should create a Windows XP CD with integrated Intel textmode driver according to the start post of this thread.

When you come to the integration procedure, you need just to check the device named "ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller".

Unfortunately, nLite only recognized .inf format drivers and the ones I found through the Device Manager were all .sys or .dll.
The .SYS files are the real drivers, the .INF files are text files, which contain the instructions about how to get the driver installed and working, the .DLL files are just co-installer files. Don't worry about the fact, that nLite will just show the INF file while integrating the driver. It will copy all files of the driver folder onto the XP CD.
Furthermore; HP/Compaq did not have any updated drivers available for those components on their support page.
You will find the needed 32bit driver within my guide (first post of this thread). The drivers I have uploaded are the newest and currently best Intel SATA drivers and will fully support the Compac laptop of your friend.
As the SATA controller for my friend's laptop is Intel's, this seemed like the best place to pose my question. Any advice or reading material you could forward me to wold be greatly appreciated.
The only reading material you will need is my guide within the first post of this thread.
I'd even settle for a link to where I could flash my friend's system with a better BIOS as the ones available from Compaq all had the same basic functions.
Don't try to do that. Since the laptop of your friend does support the advanced features of AHCI (NCQ and hot plugging) and the installation of Windows XP with integrated Intel AHCI driver will easily be done, why should he run XP without AHCI support?

Good luck!

Fernando

Your problem can easily be solved.

It was a good idea to post a screenshot of the Vista Device Manager, because it shows, that the laptop of your friend has an Intel ICH9M Southbridge and that the SATA drive is running in AHCI mode.

So you should create a Windows XP CD with integrated Intel textmode driver according to the start post of this thread.

When you come to the integration procedure, you need just to check the device named "ICH9M-E/M SATA AHCI Controller".

Thank you so much for your speedy and detailed reply, Fernando. It looks like I misunderstood that part of your tutorial. I had thought IDE Mode would be required if XP was to install at all, regardless of integrated drivers. I have since built a custom disc using your instructions and nLite and it worked perfectly.

I always tell my friends when doing major maintenance on their computers like this "There's always one snag that comes up where I have to go and do research before it can be fixed". Thankfully, this one happened early on and I truly appreciate the assistance.

Unfortunately, nLite only recognized .inf format drivers and the ones I found through the Device Manager were all .sys or .dll.
The .SYS files are the real drivers, the .INF files are text files, which contain the instructions about how to get the driver installed and working, the .DLL files are just co-installer files. Don't worry about the fact, that nLite will just show the INF file while integrating the driver. It will copy all files of the driver folder onto the XP CD.

The problem was I couldn't find the INF files at all. I traced the drivers by using the Device Manager to show me the filepath where they were located (C:\Windows\System32\Drivers for the most part) and they were all in SYS and DLL. How would I go about tracking down the corresponding INF files, just so I know for the future?

Furthermore; HP/Compaq did not have any updated drivers available for those components on their support page.
You will find the needed 32bit driver within my guide (first post of this thread). The drivers I have uploaded are the newest and currently best Intel SATA drivers and will fully support the Compac laptop of your friend.

They did, I commend you for your dilligence.

I'd even settle for a link to where I could flash my friend's system with a better BIOS as the ones available from Compaq all had the same basic functions.
Don't try to do that. Since the laptop of your friend does support the advanced features of AHCI (NCQ and hot plugging) and the installation of Windows XP with integrated Intel AHCI driver will easily be done, why should he run XP without AHCI support?

This was an extention of my previous misunderstanding where I thought the hard disc's mode *had* to be changed in order for XP to be installed. Generally I prefer working with a more advanced BIOS regardless, it gives greater flexibility if you want to fine-tune the system. As it was not a relevant factor in this particular case, however, I'll leave it be.

Thank you again.

The problem was I couldn't find the INF files at all. I traced the drivers by using the Device Manager to show me the filepath where they were located (C:\Windows\System32\Drivers for the most part) and they were all in SYS and DLL. How would I go about tracking down the corresponding INF files, just so I know for the future?
The .INF files are stored within the WINDOWS\INF directory, but if you are searching for a specific INF file of a driver you have installed, you will not find the original INF file name there.

All Windows Operating Systems rename the INF files of the installed drivers to OEM0.INF, OEM1.INF, OEM2.INF etc.. Only the INF files of the Windows OS in-box drivers will keep their original names.

Best wishes

Fernando

Hey all, this thread could use a remake I think, 36 pages of unorganized Q/A does not help a guy in a rush :rolleyes:

I have an Asus P5k-E wifi that uses the Intel ICH9(R?) chipset. From what I gather it IS the R chipset, but due to a licensing thing after an old BIOS version it wont show up as ICHR and support RAID functionality. I have definitely upgraded past that old BIOS and don't want to go back. I don't care about RAID functionality.

What I DO care about is AHCI, I'm about to nLite a new install disc and am thinking of using the "32bit_Intel_textmode_driver_v8.9.0.1023_mod_by_Fernando.zip" driver. Is this wrong? Should I use the R version?

Thanks for any help.

Hey all, this thread could use a remake I think, 36 pages of unorganized Q/A does not help a guy in a rush :rolleyes:
Nobody needs to read any of these pages unless the start post of the thread, which contains all informations and will always be up-to-date.
I have an Asus P5k-E wifi that uses the Intel ICH9(R?) chipset. From what I gather it IS the R chipset, but due to a licensing thing after an old BIOS version it wont show up as ICHR and support RAID functionality. I have definitely upgraded past that old BIOS and don't want to go back. I don't care about RAID functionality.

What I DO care about is AHCI, I'm about to nLite a new install disc and am thinking of using the "32bit_Intel_textmode_driver_v8.9.0.1023_mod_by_Fernando.zip" driver. Is this wrong?

No, I recommend to take that driver, because it is the only one, which will support ICH9R and ICH9 chipsets without "R".
Should I use the R version?
I don't understand, what you mean with "R version". I recommend to integrate the "32bit Intel textmode driver v8.9.0.1023 mod by Fernando". When you get the textmode driver popup window, you should check all Intel SATA AHCI Controllers with "ICH9" within the names (ICH9R and ICH9).

Good luck!

Fernando