CD-Rom not found during Win2k3 Ent Install

eray

I think this should be a pretty simple issue to resolve for any experienced Windows user, unfortunately, I am more of a Linux guy.

I used the nLite setup to create an unattended setup, with drivers, sp, programs, etc. I created the bootable iso, but its not my intended use.

What I am doing is copying the i386 directory to a network install server, which pxe boots my client and copies the i386 directory to the harddrive and then reboots into the Windows TextMode installer. Everything loads smoothly, until it gets to the Windows Setup screen and looks for a CD-Rom..

What file/directive do i need to change to get the Windows Setup to look on the local drive?

Thanks,

Eric

Eric, I wouldn't mind helping you with this in detail, because i have more than one pc at home, and i want to use this pxe method but i just don't know how to start. i have nlited windows 2003 many many times myself and use it now always, and it works perfectly, i even install it from usb. could i chat to you on msn or something because i want to know how to get that pxe boot working for myself if possible!

regarding the cd-rom seatch: there is a part of the winnt.sif that looks for the cd or a local source. if you copy over the i386 folder and manage to boot from it i don't see why you would need a cd-rom...problem is i haven't done a pxe install myself before (but i'd love to, sounds like it would save so much time!!).

anyway, if you go into your winnt.sif file there is a string called [Data], it looks like this:

[Data]
Autopartition=0
FloppyLess=1
MsDosInitiated=0
UnattendedInstall="Yes"

see where it says "MsDosInitiated=0", change that to 1 or 0, i can't remember which way around it is, one way means it will prompt for the cd, the other way means it uses the local source.

if it still doesn't wotk, i'd have to know what happens during the pxe bootup then i'd more than likely understand why it asks for a cd.