Windows Login Password recovery?

Justas

Is there a legitimate program that I can download (for free preferably) that will reset or change an account password on a computer that the user has forgotten? Not sure of any ways I can modify a Windows login password without some sort of third party program or using DOS to maybe modify files? Gonna do some research on it but thought someone would have a tried and tested method to offer as well on there.

Thanks.

• 3 years later...

Is there a legitimate program that I can download (for free preferably) that will reset or change an account password on a computer that the user has forgotten? Not sure of any ways I can modify a Windows login password without some sort of third party program or using DOS to maybe modify files? Gonna do some research on it but thought someone would have a tried and tested method to offer as well on there.

Thanks.

What OS are you having?

On xp you can try this:

Boot computer and press Ctrl+Alt+Delete twice when you See Windows welcome screen / login screen. It'll show classic login box. Now type "Administrator" (without quotes) in username field and leave password field blank, press Enter and you should be able to login Windows.

Now you can reset your account password from "Control Panel -> User Accounts".

On win 7 or vista:

Ctrl+Alt+Delete won't work, you have to use some windows password recovery Tool.