[Question] setup access point

grafx1

Please, can i connect wireless to the access point fot the first time to make configuration, or i had to be on a pc connected wired to the lan ?

there's only one cable coming to me from neighbours...

it's a linksys G access point, i also have win Vista. Thanks.

Edited by grafx1

to configure an access point for the very first time it is recommended that you connect to it from the LAN side.

why are you connecting to your neighbours access point? what are you trying to achieve?

thanks

no, we are sharing dsl, so i have a cable from my neighbours, but i'm thinking of getting an access point for me...

also, if it's located in one room with open door, can all rooms have a good connection ?

Thanks.

If your neighbour has the router at his house and it is configured as a DHCP server you should be able to buy an access point, and configure that to obtain an IP by DHCP and plug it in and it should work, remember to configure security on it too.

I hope i have understood you correctly :)

Thanks, the problem is that i want to connect the access point to the cable, then log into it wirelessly and configure it, or i can't do it like that ?

as it is one cable... or can i connect it directly to the pc through direct cable to configure it first ?

yes connect to the access point first with an ethernet cable and then put the settings in. Then plug it into your neighbours cable and if you configured it right it will work :)

P.S post back if you need help with any paticular settings

yes connect to the access point first with an ethernet cable and then put the settings in. Then plug it into your neighbours cable and if you configured it right it will work :)

P.S post back if you need help with any paticular settings

Please help, I’d got the access point DLink g700ap and configure it to obtain automatic ip address, as this access point has a default ip 192.168.0.50

Our network has the range of 10.0.0.x

I’ve win vista premium

Now it refuses to connect !! the wireless button is "on" on laptop, and security is opened (no security) on the access point.

i'd also make it open with wep enabled on both vista and access point, but no way..., vista see the access point but refuses to connect.

Please help me…thank you for your support.

Edited by grafx1

1) reset the access point to defaults by pressing the button on the back with a pin

2) connect to the access point with a ethernet cable on the LAN side

3) connect to 192.168.0.50 in your browser

4) find DHCP server on the access point and turn it off

5) find "LAN IP" (192.168.0.50) and change it to an ip on your network that is not in use such as 10.10.10.100, check the subnet mask as i notice you are using 255.255.255.0 when it should infact be 255.0.0.0.

6) give your self a static ip eg 10.10.10.99

7) "Ping" the access point

8) if it replies then try to connect wirelessly to it

9) "ping" it wirelessly

10) connect it to the neighbours router

it now should work. if not troubleshoot as follows:

1) ping the access point

2) ping the neighbours router

3)ping googles ip - 66.249.81.99

4)ping google by name

if any of the steps fail you can determine where the problem is (most) likely name resolution will cause an issue in this case, but give it a go and let us know if you need more help :)

thanks for your support

yes eyeball, there was a conflict between the ip address of the AP and the network, so make it automatic as changing it manually fails.

then i corrected the wep encryption key as i was thinking it is only a password, but it must be a~f 1~9

then it didn't also connect, at this point, i rolled back to the previous drivers of my nic and.... it Worked :D

i'm using now wep 64 bit security, is this ok ?

also, when i boot vista takes a long time identifying network and there is an X sign between AP and Globe

but when i click diagnose it connect to the internet and says there is no problem !!

Edit: i'd disabled ip v6 and link layers protocols, i think it is ok now...

Thanks for your time and help

Edited by grafx1