SBS 2003 CAL's

aspenjim

I'm moving a SBS box from a 5 user location to a 20-25 user location and need some more CAL's. It is a SBS 2003 Standard OEM and I need to know where to purchase CAL's. I quoted the new location $100/CAL and told them they have to purchase them 5 at a time. Would someone kindly tell me where to purchase CAL's at (and hopefully at the best cost to me, as I'm a reseller). The proper part number(s) would suffice and i can search for them myself, but need some professional advice as to the differences. I think this is what I may need... T74-01094 for a 5 pack, but I'm not sure. I've also found this part number... T74-00137 for 20 packs, but I don't exactly know what an open license is and if they can be used with an SBS OEM.

I'm going the route of device CAL's and also have a question about printers. The new location has 2 network printers. How does that enter into the Device CAL picture?

as always TIA

Jim

Not sure if you've seen this page yet or not, but it should give you an idea about what licensing options are available for SBS 2003. As to where to purchase them, they should be available from most VARs in your area, and also online. 5-packs are pretty common, although if you go through a larger vendor they may be able to give you a larger pack (discounts may or may not be applied, though).

As to the printer question, I don't believe you need a device CAL for printers, just for clients using the server that hosts the print queues.

As to the printer question, I don't believe you need a device CAL for printers, just for clients using the server that hosts the print queues.

Only if it's a multifunction device that uses domain authentication (i.e. LDAP lookup)

http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsServer2003.../licensing.mspx

Q. Does my printer or multi-function device require a CAL to connect to my SBS network?

A. In most cases your printer or multi-function device will not consume a CAL. However, if your device authenticates to the domain it will require a CAL. The most common scenario where your would need a CAL is when you have a multi-function device that uploads scanned images, such as a pdf, to a server share using authentication.