Slipstream Disk using DVD Disk?

jimc52

Hello everyone :hello:

I just did a slipstream XP Pro + SP2 disk using nLite this weekend, with all hotfixes and security updates + drivers.

My disk size grew to 680 MB and I was using a 700 MB CD total capacity. I was wondering, does it make any

difference if I do a bootable DVD?

Everything I have read about slipstreaming talks about CD's...not a word about whether or not it will work on a DVD.

Does anyone have an idea or clue?

Thanks - Jim

Jim

That seems pretty large, when I make a new disk for XP Pro SP2 with Ryan's update pack and addons and use Integrator mine comes out around 550 meg. Did you add a bunch of other addons? You might try eliminating the Lang file to save space. I've never tried it but have seen it recommended many times as a way to gain space on a cd. I don't know about burning to a dvd.

Joe

Jim

That seems pretty large, when I make a new disk for XP Pro SP2 with Ryan's update pack and addons and use Integrator mine comes out around 550 meg. Did you add a bunch of other addons? You might try eliminating the Lang file to save space. I've never tried it but have seen it recommended many times as a way to gain space on a cd. I don't know about burning to a dvd.

Joe

Yes deleting the LANG folder saves about 100MB. You can also get rid of the WINNTUPG dir (aside from 2 files I think netmap.inf and NETUPGRD.DLL) also you can delete WIN9XUPG, and WIN9XMIG. These folders are used for when installing within a windows environment instead of booting from the disk. So... they aren't needed since using that method is far from reccommended. ;)

Ok to answer your question about using a DVD.

Nlite your source, then use it as a base for an unattended install (like the guide). Add all the software you would like (as in the guide or using the RVM Add-ons) then use cdimage or mkisofs to create the ISO (making sure to add the bootable option and bootfile in the commandline options).

Then burn the ISO like you would a cd. Works perfectly for me, never had a problem (and yes that with a 550MB base install. Some people like more software installed slipstreamed than others do :) Add codecs, Adobe Acrobat, CdBurnerXP..... it soon makes the image large)

Edited by phkninja