Noobie Question

tlcmd

As a relative noobie here, Please advise me. I have downloaded the SP3 for my Windows 98se. I am running a Pentium III 550 MHz with 256 of RAM and an 18 Gig hard drive.

What updates should i add? tis computer is being used as a "guest computer" , chiefly for my grandkids when they visit (ages 17 and 19) as the other computers on the network are running XP and have much faster chips and larger hard drives.

Thanks,

tlcmd

A rather generic question... what are your needs/requirements for the "child/grandchild" pc? there are a lot of patch methods and optional components (both unofficial and official) available (or linked to) throughout this forum. Just decide what you want/need and search accordingly. Additional help may be provided in the specific topics that you decide to go with...

Edited by submix8c

Thanks, but my question should have been worded differently. Are there newer updates than the unofficial SP3 which would improve the overall stability and performance of this older computer. Bug fixes, etc since SP3 was introduced?

there is and will be no definitive answer...

gape's SP3 is probably all good; soporific's UBCD and/or autopatcher is also all good; mdgx's stuff is all good; rp7 is all good; (etc etc).

these folks (among others) have a tendency to collaberate and use each others' fixes (official and unofficial). soporific has a "definitive patch list" based upon information gathered form various sources.

best answer is - compare between all resources and see if anything is left out...

just be aware that there will possibly be bugs in any one or all of them (maybe not). just check around with the particular topic and ask relevant questions.

p.s. MS does not provide any more updates... anything beyond what was provided will absolutely be "unofficial" (not sanctioned) by MS or anyone else but the providers/users of said fixes. only "support for updates/upgrades" will be via what you choose to utilize provided by the author.

Edited by submix8c