Office 2007: "click here to enable instant search" registry

chickenselects

In outlook 2007 is it possible to disable the "click here to enable instant search" bar with a registry fix? I have been searching all over and haven't found anything that works. I tried setting a policy in registry and still no luck.

someone had posted:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Outlook\Search]

"DisableDownloadSearchPrompt"="1"

but it doesn't work. Any ideas?

Thanks

Edited by chickenselects

It can be done via the MSP file.

run setup.exe /admin in a cmd window and navigate to 'Modify User Settings'

Then go to "Microsoft Office Outlook 2007\Tools | Options\Preferences\Search Options"

Still looking for a way to disable the windows update/microsoft help/participation prompt via MSP when a user runs an office 2007 program for the first time. I did it via registry but it doesn't work for some reason when outlook is run for the first time but works for every other office 2007 program. Weird.

For people as me, that was searching simply for disabling the yellow message (and found this topic in first Google Results), a quick tip to help them:

As read in MSDN:

Tools>Options

Click "Other" Tab

Advanced Options button

Uncheck "Show prompts to enable Instant Search"

Thanks to Jon Tackabury at Binary Fortress for the answer. It was bugging me too.

That was perfect for lazy people like me :thumbup

Cheers :hello:

Edited by Syquus

I had figured it out via the MSP file, I was looking for a broad solution I can use via deployment. My real problem now is getting rid of the prompt new users get when opening outlook 07 for the first time. The one asking about windows update/online help/etc. I have a registry fix that works for all other office 07 applications but outlook...wonder why outlook is an exception...

Edited by chickenselects

• 1 year later...
I had figured it out via the MSP file, I was looking for a broad solution I can use via deployment. My real problem now is getting rid of the prompt new users get when opening outlook 07 for the first time. The one asking about windows update/online help/etc. I have a registry fix that works for all other office 07 applications but outlook...wonder why outlook is an exception...

I would love to know if someone figured out how to correct this. This is exactly what I'm trying to do now. It's no problem doing it locally, but we have over 200 computers in the network, and new ones being set up all the time. So if there's an image modification(registry) that I could do, or worst case scenario bug my sysadmin to enable a group policy or script... any insight would be helpful.