Some ‘Unattended silent installers’

eddie11013

Just thought I would share and a request. As we all know there are new versions of our favorite programs coming out all the time. If you know the silent installer ‘switch’ you can make a new ‘add-on / cab’ yourself and be good to go. I use programs like “Cmenu.exe & CreateurSFX.exe“, to identify the installers “switch/s”. Sometimes you need the “ Universal Extractor” and or a ’zip’ program to open the file so that you can get to the ‘real’ setup.exe. And I use the nLite Add-on Maker to make my cabs. Sometimes, as in my example below with the AVG Free anti-virus program, the switches are way to complicated for us average users. This is when we’re glad that there are some experts around that we can turn to, to make some add-on’s for us. (When I use ‘cmenu.exe’ for AVG, I get a /s switch, but of course that wasn’t even close.)

Anyway, a request for those making “add-on’s” for us, if they would put the “switch/s” somewhere where we could find them, like in the ‘Entries’ or when they post back with a ‘Release’, that would be “GREAT”.

1-Click Answers -- /S

7zip 4.56 Beta -- /S

Adobe Flash Player 9.0.64.0 RC -- /silent

Adobe Shockwave Player 10.2r23 --10.2.0.023 -- /silent -- Get ’slim’ version http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/alternates/ Test: http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/welcome/

AVG 7.5Free_503a1171.exe --

/HIDE /DONT_START_APPS /NO_WELCOME /NO_AVGW_STARTUP/QUIT_IF_INSTALLED

Boot Skin -- /S

Ccleaner 2.01.507 -- /S -- Get ‘slim’ version - without toolbar

Deep Burner Free 1.8.224 -- /quiet

FavOrg -- /S

IeSpell 2.5.1 build 106 -- /S

IZArc 3.8.1_1550 -- /VERYSILENT /SP-

Java 6 update 3 -- /s /v /qn

McAfee Site Advisor 1.7 -- /S

Nlite 1.4.rc2 -- /sp- /very silent

Pop Peeper 3.0.1 -- /S

Printkey2000 -- /S

Spybot 1.5.1.17 -- /verysilent /SP- /components=main,skins

Spyware Blaster v3.5.1 -- 71008.7z /very silent

Weather Watcher 5.6.24a -- /sp- /verysilent

XnView 1.91.6 -- /VERYSILENT

If you are “testing”, you may want to do the following, additional steps to uninstall a program: Step # 1. Win + R / regedit - click - Hkey _ local _ machine _ Software _ Microsoft _ Windows _ Current Version _ click plus sign _ for uninstall -- all the programs installed on your computer are listed, scroll and see if the program you want to get rid of is on the list…if it is right click on it and delete it. Step # 2. Boot into ‘Safe Mode’ - In ‘safe mode’, click on “My Computer” - Explore - C:\ program files - click on the folder of the program you want to delete from your computer and delete it. Then click on the common files folder and see if it is in there and if it is delete it. When finished, reboot back into normal mode. Sometimes, if your having problems uninstalling a program, it is best to uninstall via its ‘own’ uninstaller versus the ‘control panel/add and remove programs. You can reinstall the program and then use its uninstaller.

If anyone wants to post some programs with their ‘switches’ that would be great. I do understand that there is already a lengthy thread, here: http://www.msfn.org/board/Application_Swit...ons_t12657.html.

Just a suggestion. Sorry for the long post

Have a good day,

Eddie

PS: I have about ten other add-on’s, but like, Zone Alarm 7.0.408 -- /s /noreboot, & Ad Aware 2007 7.0.2.3 - /quiet , while they will install, they do not totally install silently, therefore I did not list them above.

There’s an old saying that goes something like: “The more things change, the more they stay the same.” The point being, as both of us have pointed out, yes there is already a lengthy thread in “Application Installs”, BUT, sometimes things become dated. As, for instance, the very first listing on that thread is for 7zip, with this info: Switch: -y /q /r:n -- Full syntax: 7Zip.exe -y /q /r:n -- Extraction needed: ? This post is dated December 23, 2003. Frankly, I don’t know if those ‘switches’ still work. I do know that the switch that I listed, using ‘Cmenu’ as a source, /S, works, today. This is for a program that has been around for quite some time now, with a ‘lot‘ of previous versions since then.

What I am really hoping for, is that some ‘sticky’ could be created, by the powers that be, that would list the ‘switches’, similar to what I have posted, in alphabetical order. And just be periodically updated, versus people going through ‘11’ pages hoping to find what their looking for. If one performs a search, looking for a particular switch, you will find gobs of pages that will lead you anywhere and everywhere, and still maybe not find what your looking for.

The reason I posted on this ‘nLite’ forum, is because its dedicated to using nLite. The ‘application installs’ forum, is not. Thus the various listings with ‘code’ etc. When you come to the ‘Application add-ons’ forum, you see a sticky from ‘rado354’ with “310” cabs, in alphabetical order - very nice, a sticky from ‘ZcWorld’ with over ‘150’ and if you check out ‘johndoe74’, there’s some ‘193’. These guys, among others I’m sure, are doing a great job. But, as I mentioned in my first post, new software ‘updates’ come out all the time. If the switches, previously found by these experts, were posted and kept updated, some folks, like myself, could make their own cabs on the fly. A case in point, ‘johndoe74’ made a cab for ‘Spybot Search and Destroy v1.5‘, September 21, 2007. To be sure, his cab is great, it gets rid of ‘TeaTimer’, Automatically immunizes the system, etc. But we’re now at version 1.5.1.17 Beta. While someone might not want to install a ‘beta’, still others will, and the switch that I posted -- /verysilent /SP- /components=main,skins -- that I found in those ‘11’ pages -- will work. Granted it has ‘teatimer and doesn’t do some of the things that “johndoe74’s” “older” cab will, but it will ‘silently install’. Now this is probably a poor example because this is a ‘special’ cab, and there is probably not a single string of switches, but probably includes code, repacking, etc., but I think you get where I’m coming from. I’m sure a lot of these ‘software programs’ just have some ‘maybe “not” so simple’ switches, such as “AVG Free” -- /HIDE /DONT_START_APPS /NO_WELCOME /NO_AVGW_STARTUP /QUIT_IF_INSTALLED -- that if know, could help us all out.

Not saying these guys should quit making cabs, far from it, but if one of my favorite programs had an update today, and I was planning on making a new CD today, it would be great if I could incorporate this ‘new’ software, immediately.

In closing, sometimes I help family and friends fix their computers, and its 'nice' when I can take a 'newer' program, that will quickly and silently install on their computers. Especially one that is still on dial-up. LOL.

This post is already way too long, thanks for replying, Arie,

Eddie