Tricky network setup

earl42

I am trying to setup something kind of tricky, or at least I can't figure it out. I have a windows XP machine on my work domain, I have put in a seperate LAN card to connect to another computer through a hub. The second computer is on windows 2000. I can't change its OS due to some special hardware. The second computer is not allowed to be put on the work domain, which is why I am trying to connect them through a seperate network. I had it working OK on a switch, but the switch died, so now I am using a hub. They do not see each other at all now.

Any suggestions?

You will need to use a switch. Or if you need to use the hub, you will have to give the Windows 2000 computer a static IP, and make a static IP on your NIC that is not on the domain. It should work that way.

ALso, your hub needs to support the network speed of the 2 NICs in each machine. So if each computer has a 10/100 NIC, then the hub needs to be either 10/100 or auto-sensing with 10/100 capability. If the W2K machine has a 10/100 nic, and the hub is 10/100, but the NIC in your production box is gigabit, it isn't going to work.

You will need to use a switch. Or if you need to use the hub, you will have to give the Windows 2000 computer a static IP, and make a static IP on your NIC that is not on the domain. It should work that way.

...I assumed that was the setup being refered to--if this is wrong, please indicate what type of network setup (DHCP, static IP, etc) this is as well.

Well, both computers have Gigabit cards, and the hub is 10/100, so that may be what is killing me. Wouldn't the cards just step down though? I have tried statically assigning IP's on the non-domain computer and the non-domain card. Both have netbeui installed. Still no luck.

Also, they do successfully ping eachother.

Edited by earl42

You are correct, as long as the cards are set to auto-negotiate (default I would imagine), then the speed of the hub would not matter, the NIC cards would step down.

If you've set up static IP's and the pings ARE successful, then at the very least you know that TCP/IP communications are working correctly. For a situation like this (simple, 2 computer network), you would want to make sure that both computers have unique IP's on the same network, the same subnet mask, and the default gateway for each system should be its own IP address (because you're not routing anything outside of your 2 computer network).

Example

Computer 1:

IP Address: 192.168.100.1

Mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.100.1

Computer 2:

IP address: 192.168.100.2

Mask: 255.255.255.0

Gateway: 192.168.100.2

Again, if pings are working, you IP settings are probably correct.

When you say they can't connect, what specifically are you trying to do? i.e. file sharing, browse remote computer, etc.

If the Win2K computer can't be put on the domain, have you tried to name the workgroup the same as the domain name of the other computer (NT name). On the domain computer, I think you'll need to make "EVERYONE" and/or "Guest" have permissions for the files you are trying to share, and you'll need to make sure that file sharing is enabled on the Win2K computer if that's what you're trying to do. Sorry it's been too long since I've worked with 2000 to remember just how that works.

Yes, file sharing. I cannot locate the other computers shared files from either side. On the 2K machine only the 2k computer shows up in computers near me. I cannot navigate to either computer using \\name or \\ip.

...that's strange that you can ping the IP of the other computer, but can't access it via unc path (\\IP_Address).

Just out of curiosity, do you have any software firewalls installed or is the Windows XP built-in firewall being used? Anti-virus software may be blocking access as well.

Not only must file and printer sharing be turned on for both, but also CLient for Microsoft Networks. They both need to be on the same workgroup for them to appear in My Network Places, but they should still be accessable to each other anyways. Both computers will need to be sharing a folder as well.