Annoyance with Word 2003

allesok

Whenever I start Word 2003 the cursor is at the upper left corner of the "paper" - (at least almost) 0 cm from the top - and, therefore, apparently in the header field, when I have started and have the blank "virgin" page for a new document in the print view.

Or it simply blanks out headers and footers, since no page number is seen (see below).

To get the normal print view I am used to from earlier versions of MS Office I have to either choose "Show header and footer" and then click close, or I have to insert page numbers (anew, since they are actually there already, see below). Then the cursor is in the upper left corner of the text field (and no more in the upper left corner of the "paper"), 2 cm below the top - as I set it to be in normal.dot.

I have set normal.dot for the page layout I want, which includes 2 cm margin at the top AND page numbering, and after choosing "Show header and footer" and closing it, the blank start page in print view appears as it should, with the settings stored in normal.dot - with page numbers showing (top center) and with the 2 cm margin at the top.

It was OK in the beginning, but then for some silly reason I clicked "Default" under Tools > Options > Compatibility tab > Options field, and after that this annoying start page view appears each time I start Word.

I also tried to delete normal.dot and let Office create a new one, but it didn't help.

Whatever I tried didn't return the view to the normal one. Why is it and what can I do?

It seems to have something to do with an alternative view that shows the pages one below the other (if there are more than one), without showing what is in the header or footer (even though there are, in this case, page numbers in the headers). It seems to just the text leaving header and footer out - their contents are simply not displayed. If I (again, since they are already there, just not shown) insert page numbers, these then do appear, since now header and footer contents are displayed. Maybe there is some view setting I cannot find under "View" in the menu, but that is somewhere else and in that case hard to find.

The view setting I have is Print Layout.

Thankful for your help

allesok

Go with your mouse pointer to the border of the page(view) and the pointer should change into two arrows pointing towards each other, then just make a left mouse click.

I hope this is what you are asking for?

I think you have a "missing white space" issue. The following should fix it:

On the View menu, click Print Layout.

On the Tools menu, click Options, and then click the View tab.

Under Print and Web Layout options, select the White space between pages (Print view only) check box.

Hope this helps