Monitor problems

Fr33m4n

I have a NEC MultiSync 90GX2 and a xfx 7800gt. When I boot my computer from cold everything works just fine. The monitor turns on and I get a picture. However, if I lock my computer to the welcome screen, turn off the monitor and leave for a while, when I come back I got no image on my screen even though the led indicating activity on the screen stays lit. Normally if the monitor gets no signal that led changes but in this case the led stays lit and the monitor is black. Though it is not the powered off kind of black but one where you can see slight white washout on the edges. What is happening?

More that likely you have one of two problems:

1) the OS power settings are turning off the monitor

2) The backlight on the Monitor is dying.

Just a couple of questions:

1) Can you view the on screen menus, such as brightness, contrast, position, etc...?

2) You say you "Lock" it to the welcome screen. Do you mean that you are just booting up to that point and then sleep or hibernate the PC without a logon? If so, I would check your power settings in Windows. You said that you turn off the monitor and when you turn it back on (after a period of time), no picture. That sounds like the OS power settings are set to turn off the monitor. Right click on your desktop and go to:

Vista: Personalize, then Screen Saver, then Power Management, then click on the link: change power settings.... to the left is a link to Choose when to turn off the display. Make sure Vista is not set to turn it off quickly.

XP: Properties, then Screen Saver Tab, at the lower part of that window ther is Monitor Power, click the Power Button, then the Power Schemes Tab will give you options for adjusting when the monitor is shut off.

If this is not the issue, check cables, try another Monitor, and even make sure the drivers are current for the video card.

This is all assuming you have the BIOS set to default settings

1) Yes, I can view the built in monitor menu just fine.

2) When I say Lock I mean (and I have XP) that I hit the "Win+L" key combo to lock the machine with a password. I know it is not the power settings because I have never changed them and the problem has been appearing only lately. Besides, becasue I'm so familiar with the OS I'm able though keyboard shortcuts to log in and mess around, and when I get the expected windows sounds I know that I should have a picture, but I don't.

Last thing is. This doesn't happen all the time, and sometimes after a while the image just comes back. But sometimes I have to restart the machine and then everything instantly works fine.

Freeman,

Sounds like you have a good handle on the OS, I was just being careful. Your problem sounds heat related.

When the video comes back, is that shortly after any processor intensive background apps? Virus check, file transfers, etc...

You say that a reboot solves this problem instantly. Is that a cold or warm reboot? If it is a cold reboot, that would lean me in the direction of heat problems with the graphics card.

When you access the monitor display adjustments, is that during the time the screen is blank? If so, then it definitely is not the monitor.

Also, you say this problem just started to happen. Can you relate that with any major software changes, specifically to the OS or Graphics Card Drivers?

Just throwing some stuff out there.....

if I lock my computer to the welcome screen, turn off the monitor and leave for a while, when I come back I got no image on my screen

What if you lock the computer, don't turn off the monitor and leave for a while ?