Unable to install JAVA runtime

morland

Hi,

I have tried endless # of times but whenever i try to download/install Java, the installation thing starts and then almost within 20 seconds I get a dialog box with the following text:

This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package.

Can you please help me out on this.

Thanks.

Hi,

Thank you for the reply. I have gone through the URL but no mention of my problem; updated status of which is:

I was finally able to download a 13.9 MB executable file named 'jre-6u3-windows-i586-p-s' when was under the label 'JAVA - Version 6 Update 3". When I execute this file, installation starts and then shortly I get the following error message :(

"Error applying transforms. Verify that the specified transform paths are valid."

Any clues please. Thanks.

Have you ever tried to install a software package and had it give you a message something like this:

"Before continuing, shut down all running programs." ???

They don't say that just for the heck of it. Many programs like Anti-Virus programs, will interfere with the installation process to the extent of making it abort. I suspect that this may be your problem.

I have a little Utility called "End It All 2" that shuts down all running programs. I use it often before installing new software or running my CD/DVD burning software. Installs go much smoother when they have full access to your RAM, CPU and HD.

You can manually shut down programs but it's a lot harder than just running one little program like "End It All 2".

The Java install program you should be looking for is:

jdk-6u2-windows-i586-p.exe

It's a big one, but it's the complete Java suite. I'd install nothing less.

Good Luck,

Andromeda43 B)

Hi thank you for the reply and suggestion. I do see your point and till now, always used to ignore the "Before continuing, shut down all running programs."

I got the problem solved but your suggestion will come in handy whenever I instal something in the future. So thanks for that :)

Not only was that the advice given in the answer I linked to you, (please make sure third-party downloader/TSR programs are turned off), how did you solve the problem?

This thread serves no purpose to the community if the solution is left unanswered.