Win XP installation Loop

LoveLiteXP

HI guys,

If i do the "winnt32.exe /makelocalsource /noreboot /syspart:e tempdrive:e /unattend:winnt.sif" in a command line it works fine but after i restart the computer and boot with the drive where i just did this installation at, the setup goes in a loop at the first stage (the Text-mode Setup). I runs fine, the harddisk is FAT32 and setup converts it to NTFS, copies all the folders and files but after the reboot it does the same thing again. It looks like there is a file missing that tell setup to go to the second stage (the GUI-mode Setup). Does anyone have an idea what that file might be?

Thanks

HI guys,

If i do the "winnt32.exe /makelocalsource /noreboot /syspart:e tempdrive:e /unattend:winnt.sif" in a command line it works fine but after i restart the computer and boot with the drive where i just did this installation at, the setup goes in a loop at the first stage (the Text-mode Setup). I runs fine, the harddisk is FAT32 and setup converts it to NTFS, copies all the folders and files but after the reboot it does the same thing again. It looks like there is a file missing that tell setup to go to the second stage (the GUI-mode Setup). Does anyone have an idea what that file might be?

Thanks

I'm just curious, what were you trying to do? Possibly an Unattended RE-Install of XP to solve some problem?

I've done that myself on occasion, when I was new to Windows XP. Then I found out how useful the "System Restore" function can be to solve small problems and Ghost Backups to solve the really big ones.

I've used this technique very successfully:

Re-Installing Windows-XP

If you need to reinstall Windows-XP and want to keep all your current installed applications and settings:

1. Start Windows-XP

2. Find the location of your source files (a folder called "I386" , May Be on Your Install CD or a folder on your HD) You may find several i386 folders on your PC but you want the one that has the .cab files in it along with the command file "Winnt32.exe".

3. Run WINNT32 /unattend ,,, For example, D:\I386\winnt32.exe /unattend (type this command into the RUN box, then press ENTER).... Leave just one space where I've put three for emphasis, at the end of the command and before the switch (/unattend).

I've often needed to do this to repair something that had gotten corrupted and I didn't want to do a clean install.

Good Luck,

Andromeda43 B)