Windows XP Pro re-installing

Evanhoe

Hi,I have what seems to be a real mess on my hands!!! Here goes: I decided to reinstall my Win XP Pro OS and,instead of using my Official "MS Windows Professional XP Pro" CD I used a CD that I had burned with "The RVM Integrator App" see the Screenshot of what info the CD included, below.

post-132754-1192015838_thumb.jpg

Now,when I inserted the disk to start reinstalling,I got a Window as follows:

"PLS SELECT THE OS TO START" I chose "MS WINDOWS XP PRO SET UP"

It went to "Welcome to set up" where I had 3 choices.I chose:

"TO SET UP WINDOWS XP PRO",Press Enter, where I was asked to Insert:

"CD Labelled Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2"

I inserted my MS CD "Windows XP service Pack 2 "Note:it does'nt say PRO ! "

I did and pressed Enter,CD Rom reve'd up,but nothing happened !

I then RC/My Computer >Manage >Disk Management >Action >All Tasks where: Format was Greyed out! No luck there either.

I then physically removed the HD and installed another unused 80 gb IDE HD I have.I inserted my original "Windows XP Pro CD"To my surprise I got essentially similar results as follows:

I clicked Install Windows XP

Windows Setup started loading Files

It then showed that it was 'Starting Windows'

I was then given 3 choices:

-To setup Windows XP now,Press Enter

-To repair a Windows installation,Press R

-To quit setup w/o installing Windows XP,Press F3

I selected the first choice.

The MS Agreement came up,I pressed F8=I agree, and there was no response at all !

As a last resort,I googled to find a Hard Disk Eraser(Wiper),and found and tried 2 of them.

One was Kill Disk but,in the end "C" was greyed out so,no can do!

The other one was "Ultimate Drive Wiper v 5.4.0 by PMS Software" and,after much reading I

Selected their'Security Wipe Entire Drive' and,after nearly 8 hours running this thing,the results were:

"NOT A DARN THING WAS REMOVED"

I don't think I can do anymore to fix this problem myself, so can anyone from this Forum please help

me solve this ? Thank you.

VAN

Hi,I have what seems to be a real mess on my hands!!! Here goes: I decided to reinstall my Win XP Pro OS and,instead of using my Official "MS Windows Professional XP Pro" CD I used a CD that I had burned with "The RVM Integrator App" see the Screenshot of what info the CD included, below.

post-132754-1192015838_thumb.jpg

Now,when I inserted the disk to start reinstalling,I got a Window as follows:

"PLS SELECT THE OS TO START" I chose "MS WINDOWS XP PRO SET UP"

It went to "Welcome to set up" where I had 3 choices.I chose:

"TO SET UP WINDOWS XP PRO",Press Enter, where I was asked to Insert:

"CD Labelled Windows XP Pro Service Pack 2"

I inserted my MS CD "Windows XP service Pack 2 "Note:it does'nt say PRO ! "

I did and pressed Enter,CD Rom reve'd up,but nothing happened !

I then RC/My Computer >Manage >Disk Management >Action >All Tasks where: Format was Greyed out! No luck there either.

I then physically removed the HD and installed another unused 80 gb IDE HD I have.I inserted my original "Windows XP Pro CD"To my surprise I got essentially similar results as follows:

I clicked Install Windows XP

Windows Setup started loading Files

It then showed that it was 'Starting Windows'

I was then given 3 choices:

-To setup Windows XP now,Press Enter

-To repair a Windows installation,Press R

-To quit setup w/o installing Windows XP,Press F3

I selected the first choice.

The MS Agreement came up,I pressed F8=I agree, and there was no response at all !

As a last resort,I googled to find a Hard Disk Eraser(Wiper),and found and tried 2 of them.

The other one was "Ultimate Drive Wiper v 5.4.0 by PMS Software" and,after much reading I

Selected their'Security Wipe Entire Drive' and,after nearly 8 hours running this thing,the results were:

I don't think I can do anymore to fix this problem myself, so can anyone from this Forum please help

me solve this ? Thank you.

VAN

If you have used that CD before and it was fine, then it's probably because the CD drive is bad, the CD is damaged or the CD is dirty.

If they are Windows programs, they won't kill your C drive, you need a program that runs from a booting floppy disk.

stead of using my Official "MS Windows Professional XP Pro" CD I used a CD that I had burned with "The RVM Integrator App"

Is the RVM disk made from the files of your first cd ?

Some simple questions Did you add many addons? Did you go into NLite and remove some "unneeded" things? Did you test the updated cd on a virtual machine? Was your source a clean source or one of the updated messes that Dell and some other makers used poorly added hotfixes? Is this your first attempt to slipstream a XP cd? I always test my finished disk on a virtual machine MS has one FREE.

Joe

Quote:If you have used that CD before and it was fine, then it's probably because the CD drive is bad, the CD is damaged or the CD is dirty.

Geez,I dunno what happened with my reply to you yesterday!

In any case I said:

1-Both my DVD and CD drives are working well

2-As far as I can see my OS CD does'nt appear to be damaged!But for my peace of mind can you recommend a Free App that would check this out?

3-Cd is not dirty,I'm very careful in this regard.

Thanks for trying to help.

VAN

Quote:If they are Windows programs, they won't kill your C drive, you need a program that runs from a booting floppy disk.

Quote:Is the RVM disk made from the files of your first cd ?

Hi Ponch,

As far as I know,they were Windows programs! I'd like to try your suggestion of a "Booting floppy disk"can you provide info as to where I can get this Program?

I'm not clear on your question about the "RVM disk" but,the RVM Integrator asked for the "1386 Directory" which I provided from my original XP Pro Cd I think!In any case the final results were,what is shown on the Screenshot I provided in my previous thread! Hope this helps.Thanks for your help.

VAN

Hi Joe,

Thanks for your reply.I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.

1-Did you add many addons? No

2-Did you go into NLite and remove some "unneeded" things? NO

3-Did you test the updated cd on a virtual machine? NO

4-Was your source a clean source or one of the updated messes that Dell and some other makers used poorly added hotfixes? As far as I know it should be clean,I got everything from the RVM site.

5-Is this your first attempt to slipstream a XP cd? Yes,and as you can see I made a mess of things.

6-I always test my finished disk on a virtual machine MS has one FREE. I should have done that myself,as I have both Versions,2004 and 2007.

Hope this clarifies things for you.Thank you very much for trying to help.

VAN

-Checking your install media (CD or DVD): CDCHECK, don't ask me what they mean by "freeware/shareware", it's fine by me).

-Erasing your HDD from DOS: get any DOS boot disk, (from botdisk.com if you haven't got one) and put the file Part244.exe from the zip here on the floppy. Starting the program lets you wipe the Master Boot Record (use "E" for Erase) and delete any partition. Use F5 to switch physical HDDs if more connected. F2 to save new partition if any to MBR. Note that the program can create more primary partitions but does not format NTFS partitions. This is not what you'd be using it for in this case anyway.

4-Was your source a clean source or one of the updated messes that Dell and some other makers used poorly added hotfixes? As far as I know it should be clean,I got everything from the RVM site.

Not sure what you mean here...

In order to use the RVM integrator, you have to have a "source" to integrate the updates with (i.e. i386 directory from a windows XP cd). You can't create a windows cd from just the update packs downloaded from the RVM site.

I couldn't find the link I wanted but this one mentions it slightly in the post by Gurgelmeyer http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...5&st=0& apparently Dell and some others added patches that are not integrated well and cause trouble when you try and slipstream their proprietary OEM disk. If I remember the Dell addons interfere with the slipstream of addon packs like Ryan's and Xables. Proprietary OEM disks are not the same as OEM from MS used by independent builders.

Joe

I couldn't find the link I wanted but this one mentions it slightly in the post by Gurgelmeyer http://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?show...5&st=0& apparently Dell and some others added patches that are not integrated well and cause trouble when you try and slipstream their proprietary OEM disk. If I remember the Dell addons interfere with the slipstream of addon packs like Ryan's and Xables. Proprietary OEM disks are not the same as OEM from MS used by independent builders.

Joe

I've used the RyanVM update pack (with NLite) on Dell's OEM cd's before, works fine. Some of the other 3rd party add-on packs don't always work though.

Joe

I've used the RyanVM update pack (with NLite) on Dell's OEM cd's before, works fine. Some of the other 3rd party add-on packs don't always work though.

The Flash428,

Good to know.

BTW,I'm not being ungrateful for all the help I've been getting from you guys!

I've replied almost immediately to your previous post and,those from Joe K andSmiley357!

I did what I usually do,I check the "Preview" go back and Click "Add Reply" !!!

For some reason my replies are shown in this Thread,I wonder why?It always worked before!

VAN

Joe

The Flash428,

Good to know.

BTW,I'm not being ungrateful for all the help I've been getting from you guys!

I've replied almost immediately to your previous post and,those from Joe K andSmiley357!

I did what I usually do,I check the "Preview" go back and Click "Add Reply" !!!

For some reason my replies are shown in this Thread,I wonder why?It always worked before!

VAN