What the heck is this?

All of a sudden my ADSL bandwidth is at only 1 Mb when I'm normally at 4 Mb or higher!

Still the same even after I resetted the modem, reformatted and reinstalled Windows!

But my latency is still good!

Also, the ISP didn't say anything about capping me!

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

Who is your ISP?

What package are you on? Ideally include a link to the specific package on your ISP's web site. Are there specific monthly transfer limits or a Fair Usage Policy? How much data have you transferred recently, and have you checked whether your usage has increased recently, either intentionally or unknowingly (i.e. a worm/botnet infestation)?

Have you checked message boards relevant to your ISP to see if anyone else is having the same problem? If your neighbours are connected in the same way, are they having problems? Has your ISP actually said that they aren't capping and have no regional/national network/exchange problems?

What is your connection type - DSL via the 'phone? Cable? Wireless?

What router/modem are you using?

If you are connecting wirelessly, is it still the same when you connect via ethernet? Are other PCs on your network similarly affected?

If relevant, at what speed does your modem/router say you are connected at (in Mbits/Kbits)? If ADSL, what is your downstream/upstream attenuation (in dB)

What version of Windows? Have you changed anything recently - specific software, maybe a new house alarm system, unplugged/plugged in new telephones (esp. if DECT and you connect wirelessly), not tripped over a wire and damaged a wire?

If relevant (ADSL), how far away from the telephone exchange are you? If ADSL, and if your router says somewhere, is interleaving or fast path enabled? Are you getting any FEC/CRC/HEC errors? They might be listed somewhere in your router/modem diagnostics interface.

Edited by SmaugyGrrr

Who is your ISP?

What package are you on? Ideally include a link to the specific package on your ISP's web site. Are there specific monthly transfer limits or a Fair Usage Policy? How much data have you transferred recently, and have you checked whether your usage has increased recently, either intentionally or unknowingly (i.e. a worm/botnet infestation)?

Have you checked message boards relevant to your ISP to see if anyone else is having the same problem? If your neighbours are connected in the same way, are they having problems? Has your ISP actually said that they aren't capping and have no regional/national network/exchange problems?

What is your connection type - DSL via the 'phone? Cable? Wireless?

What router/modem are you using?

If you are connecting wirelessly, is it still the same when you connect via ethernet? Are other PCs on your network similarly affected?

If relevant, at what speed does your modem/router say you are connected at (in Mbits/Kbits)? If ADSL, what is your downstream/upstream attenuation (in dB)

What version of Windows? Have you changed anything recently - specific software, maybe a new house alarm system, unplugged/plugged in new telephones (esp. if DECT and you connect wirelessly), not tripped over a wire and damaged a wire?

If relevant (ADSL), how far away from the telephone exchange are you? If ADSL, and if your router says somewhere, is interleaving or fast path enabled? Are you getting any FEC/CRC/HEC errors? They might be listed somewhere in your router/modem diagnostics interface.

VTel, which is based in Springfield, Vermont.

http://vermontel.net

Based on what? A 32 byte ping packet? Run continuous pings (at your external default gateway) with a unfragmented packets around 1024 bytes in size, and I bet you'll start dropping them.

ping -f -t -l 1024 [target]

I've run into this before, if there is an issue in a neighborhood, or at the CO, the ISP won't fix it until enough people scream, or one person nails Tech Support to the wall by pinning them in a corner.

Based on what? A 32 byte ping packet? Run continuous pings (at your external default gateway) with a unfragmented packets around 1024 bytes in size, and I bet you'll start dropping them.

ping -f -t -l 1024 [target]

I've run into this before, if there is an issue in a neighborhood, or at the CO, the ISP won't fix it until enough people scream, or one person nails Tech Support to the wall by pinning them in a corner.

No packet loss when doing around 200 packets.

I manually stopped it with Control-C at around 200 packets.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

You might want to ping a host you're trying to hit with large packet sizes (again, 1024 is a good size, although 1492 is a bit better), and if you see slowness, do a tracert while doing a looping ping (ping -t) of large packets to see where the slowness occurs. Once you see the hop that's slowest, ping the hop before that, the slow hop, and the hop afterwards to verify that the slow hop and the one after it are indeed slow when pinged with large packet sizes.

This can give you an idea of where the problem is if you can find out who owns the hop that's slow. If your gateway is fast to large pings, it's somewhere on your ISP's network, likely (especially if you're slow to multiple external hosts).

• 2 weeks later...
You might want to ping a host you're trying to hit with large packet sizes (again, 1024 is a good size, although 1492 is a bit better), and if you see slowness, do a tracert while doing a looping ping (ping -t) of large packets to see where the slowness occurs. Once you see the hop that's slowest, ping the hop before that, the slow hop, and the hop afterwards to verify that the slow hop and the one after it are indeed slow when pinged with large packet sizes.

This can give you an idea of where the problem is if you can find out who owns the hop that's slow. If your gateway is fast to large pings, it's somewhere on your ISP's network, likely (especially if you're slow to multiple external hosts).

Actually, you must do (MTU) - 28 for the packet size, thus, 1464 instead of 1492!