network accounts

mad_dog369

Ok so i am currently in the process of setting up a samber server on Ubuntu 7.04, am also setting up the network accounts thingy so i can login to it over a network, now i need some help on the windows side of things.

I want it to be like the setup they use at the schools and businesses, you know how you have to press alt, ctrl, del and put your details in then when you login and it gets all your files from the main serve (ubuntu) and stuff like that, how do i set it up in xp?

thanks, paul

Well, I assume you're creating a "windows" (read: Samba pretending to be windows) domain, correct? I've never made a domain using samba, but if there's any sort of policy settings or the like, you may be able to find it under there. However, note that joining a PC to the domain will by default enable the Ctrl-Alt-Del deal, and you can ONLY log in to a domain from the classic logon. The rest of the files and stuff... don't ask me, I don't know. ;)

A friend is helping me setup the ubuntu side of things.

As you said here:

However, note that joining a PC to the domain will by default enable the Ctrl-Alt-Del deal, and you can ONLY log in to a domain from the classic logon.

How would i make the windows box join the domain and connect to it?

Thanks, Paul.

P.s Nice riddle :thumbup had me going for a while :wacko: lol

Edited by mad_dog369

Well, the boxes must be running Windows XP Professional (or hacked XP MCE), or if vista, then business, enterprise or ultimate editions. So, go to System control panel (Winkey + Break) and choose the computer name tab. Click "Change". Type the domain name into the domain box and click OK. If all works well, it will say "Welcome to the My-Domain-Name domain." and then "You must restart to apply changes" or something like that. Restart and there you go. You press ctrl+alt+del, choose whether to log on locally or to the domain, and there you are.