prevent copying of read only files

chaneu

Is there a way to stop content that is viewed from a network share from being copied?

I have Windows 2000 server / Domain, and clients log in. They see their mapped drives and can read the files in those drives, but I don't want them to be able to save the files from one of the drives elsewhere - just read.

In addition, does anyone know of a way to script, or otherwise disable the "print screen" button for those that login?

Any help in this area is appreciated.

Thank You

Chaneu

You *might* be able to re-map the printscreen button to something else.

Take a look at: http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/input/w2kscan-map.mspx

- it's not entirely a secure, nor indeed elegant solution.

As for stopping people from being able to save copies elsewhere - I don't think you really understand how these things work. Even if you could prevent people from doing File... Save As... - what's to stop them taking a copy out of their C:\TEMP folder? Or copying and pasting?

You might like to try looking at Rights Management Services - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003...mt/default.mspx

That will provide you with a fine level of control over your documents.

I understand the process of save as reasonably well, that is why I said, "stopping people from being able to save copies ELSEWHERE."

Sorry, I was also looking at the opening request of "Is there a way to stop content that is viewed from a network share from being copied?"

The fact is- the mere act of viewing a file means that a copy is made of it.

Also consider printing - if the user can print your files, they can copy them (eg Document Image/PDFwriter printers, print to FILE, etc)

I'd strongly suggest you look at Rights Management Services.