Vlite and HP recovery disc

xenon2050

Not sure if I should put this in this forum or the Vista unattended..

I just got a new laptop, HP, and it has all kinds of junk on it. I would like to do a new install with the Vista recovery disk. Only problem is I'm guessing all their junk is on the 5GB+ DVD as well. I downloaded Vlite and tried to use it to edit the disc but it says it can't find the expected files. Is there a way to edit the disc at all? Has anyone done this on a HP recovery disc? Thanks

You may try merging the files, if there are bunch of SWM files on it.

Procedure can be quite complicated, first post the file list of the DVD (type dir /s /b>list.txt in the cmd).

And merging is broken on vLite 1.1 beta, you'll have to use 1.0 for that step.

here is the list of files

E:\BOOT
E:\Master.log
E:\SERVICE
E:\SOURCES
E:\boo.mgr
E:\preload
E:\BOOT\BCD
E:\BOOT\BOOT.SDI
E:\SOURCES\boot.wim
E:\preload\ALL.CRC
E:\preload\ALL.I32
E:\preload\ALL.ITR
E:\preload\BASE.DAT
E:\preload\BASE.WIM
E:\preload\BASE2.WIM
E:\preload\BASE3.WIM
E:\preload\BASE4.WIM
E:\preload\CD0
E:\preload\CSP.DAT
E:\preload\DESC.TXT
E:\preload\RP.CRC
E:\preload\SPLIT.LOG
E:\preload\WINDOWS.CRC
E:\preload\WINDOWS.DAT
E:\preload\WINDOWS.I32
E:\preload\WINDOWS.ITR

I have found some more information on the issue... Notebookreview.com has a guide. Problem is hp stopped giving out the Windows anytime upgrade discs with their laptops. So I ordered one from MS, but I would still like to know if I could use my recovery disc and not have to use the anytime upgrade disc...

Edited by xenon2050

but I would still like to know if I could use my recovery disc and not have to use the anytime upgrade disc...

Surely the anytime disc is ideal - I thought your goal was to have vista without the HP junk?!?

Only downside I can see is HP specific drivers - if you can't find on the web you should be able to extract them from your current installation...

Surely the anytime disc is ideal - I thought your goal was to have vista without the HP junk?!?

Only downside I can see is HP specific drivers - if you can't find on the web you should be able to extract them from your current installation...

Well it is my goal to do Vista without the HP junk. But I would like to be able to use the recovery disc, because I don't know when the anytime disc will come and because i have it.

I figured there would be some way to remove all their junk, but maybe I'm wrong.

Try this:

Rename BASE*.WIM to INSTALL*.SWM and move them to the \Sources folder where the boot.wim is.

(of course E:\ will be your folder where you copy the installation files like c:\VistaDVD)

to

E:\sources\INSTALL.SWM

E:\sources\INSTALL2.SWM

E:\sources\INSTALL3.SWM

E:\sources\INSTALL4.SWM

Then browse with vLite to it and let it Merge. But merge is broken in this vLite for some so you might want an older version or wait for a new one.

Try this:

Rename BASE*.WIM to INSTALL*.SWM and move them to the \Sources folder where the boot.wim is.

(of course E:\ will be your folder where you copy the installation files like c:\VistaDVD)

to

E:\sources\INSTALL.SWM

E:\sources\INSTALL2.SWM

E:\sources\INSTALL3.SWM

E:\sources\INSTALL4.SWM

Then browse with vLite to it and let it Merge. But merge is broken in this vLite for some so you might want an older version or wait for a new one.

Okay thanks, I'll try that out and see if it works.

If it did merge first and created only one big install.wim then I have nothing else to add. Pitty.

Hmm, well i wasn't able to even try to merge. But it doesn't really matter, I'll just wait until I get the anytime upgrade disc. Thanks

Just wanted to post a quick update... I found out that HP encrypts their *.WIM files before they send them out sooo that means that short of being a HP employee it wouldn't be worth it to use the disc... Thanks for your help nuhi.