Need help with a simple PHP code , please help.

I want to update a class on a seperate navigation system.

can you help me?

the code is :

<ul class="mainmenu">
<li class="level1 item2 parent active" style="background: url('images/menu_item1_bg.png') no-repeat;"><a class="slider" href="index.html">Home</a></li>
<li class="level1 item4 parent" style="background: url('images/menu_item2_bg.png') no-repeat;"><a class="slider" href="/soft.html">Softwares</a></li>
<li class="level1 item6 parent" style="background: url('images/menu_item3_bg.png') no-repeat;"><a class="slider" href="/stats/downloads.php">CS Tools</a></li>
<li class="level1 item7 parent" style="background: url('images/menu_item4_bg.png') no-repeat;"><a class="slider" href="/forum/index.php">Forum</a></li>
<li class="level1 item8 parent" style="background: url('images/menu_item5_bg.png') no-repeat;"><a class="slider" href="">Contact Us</a></li>
</ul>

Now as you can see there is a class called active on home's tab.

I want this class to be added on soft's tab when clicked , and to be removed from home's tab.

can you help me?

remember just updating of "active" is needed , everything remains same.

First of all, this isn't PHP, it's HTML.

Second, "active" should be defined in a CSS and probably just defines the appearance of the active menu item.

For more help we need to know what generates this HTML, what script it is and so on.