After Servic pack IE5.5 fields become inaccessible

After installing UNOFFICIAL Windows98 Second Edition Service Pack 2.1a:

1) Google search filed nor any field in Internet Explorer 5.5 is not accessible

2) IE5.5 gives error message about page not finished loading

post-156841-1191321464_thumb.jpg

I do not know if it these problems are connected.

It also prevents IE5.5 about box being displayed:

post-156841-1191322119_thumb.jpg

The installs were made in fellowing order: Win98->IE5.5->Service Pack

This bug was originally the reason why I stopped using Win98/ME OS'es as work enviroment.

I still use Win98 in WMWare box to generate postcripts (for distilling to PDF) from documents with old fonts.

Now I have to put a descent OS on 300Mhz laptop. It has Windows XP on one partition with Office 2007 in case user gets Office document she cannot open in Win98.

And the laptop has Win98 on other partition for work with internet and Office 97.

But with no Google the Win98 portion of the laptop looses sense.

Can't you just reinstall/fix IE?

The installs were made in fellowing order: Win98->IE5.5->Service Pack
The correct order is Win98->Service Pack->IE6.
300Mhz
Windows XP
Office 2007
You're horrible sadist.

The correct order is Win98->Service Pack->IE6.

Cool, thanks :thumbup

Upgrading to IE6.0.2800.1106 has no effect. There was number of components wich failed to register during system settings update after restart and full stop. Explorer gives the same error messages and is not functional as it was.

I read Microsoft article about this error, it said there has to be script5.6 or newer directX installed to fix it, but I did not yet figure out how to donload them and I think it is included in Service Pack, is not it?

Maybe there is some other service pack ment to be installed over one I mentioned in my first post?

Can it be there is bunch of components required to search here and there fo SP to run?

How I hate this service pack... I need components from it like installer etc. How do I determine which component is faulty? The only way is to install Windows from scratch and install component by component to see which spoils the IExplorer.

Probably the best way is to install it without "important" hotfixes.

Final news: that Windows installation was faulty. I found different install disk - this works. Everything installs now without a single error message. And Google also works!

Edited by kurbads