[solved] Multiple boot question

ChrisKuhli

I did'nt allowed the Windows 2000 setup to make a primary partittion...

This was not a very good idea, huh...

Setup disk x64 couldnt repare PE, so i decided install Ultimate x86 again!

Should i now recreate PE? It is x86...

Now i have C start partition Vista , D system partition PE

Just at this moment i removed the logical growed D and decided to add Win2K to the PE part of my HDD.

Make this sense? Please hurry cause i want create at sunday evening a running system with Windows 2000.

EDIT:

Now Win2K is in an extended part of disk. data part letter is customized in the devmgmt from within Vista and Win2000 :)

Edited by ChrisKuhli

I really cannot make any sense from your post, sorry.

If the question is "Can I boot a Win2K install residing in a Logical Volume inside extended partition?" the answer is YES, as long as you have NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM (SETUPPDD.SYS depending on your hardware) and BOOT.INI residing in an active primary partition.

If the question is "Can I boot a Win2K install from a newer NTLDR/NTDETECT.COM?" the answer is again YES, all NTLDR/NTDETECT.COM are backwards compatible, you only need to add a proper arcpath pointing to the Win2k install in BOOT.INI.

jaclaz

Hello jaclaz, at first thanks .

But, how do i with dual boot Vista/ PE a proper installation of Win2K? Both partitions are primary...

NOTE:

I have to reprepare the PE in its partition (its files and boot record) because i used to reinstall Vista from x64 to x86 yesterday evening (before i asked above)...

Will switching drive letters between PE and Vista?

The data partition of disk is also primary (between both, there i doesnt want W2K) :rolleyes:

EDIT:

With Diskpart i deleted the useless second primary after activating the Vista part - created the logical for Windows 2000 :) - so does i already need anything or makes it sense going install it?

Edited by ChrisKuhli