extract boot image

rickytheanuj

Hi every body.

I have a bootable "Partion Magic" image, which i comes with a computer magazine. It is a bootable image.

I want to make a multi-bootable CD form my persional use, so i tried to extract the boot image of "partion magic" but it does not works.

i think That's a linux based bootable image. So when i use the extracted image from "partion magic" in my multi-bootable cd, it does not work...

i faced some thing like linux boot. fail... error

What is wrong.. individually that partion magic image work fine.

Which software should i use to extract the linux based bootable image.

I used MagicISO to extract the bootable image.

I'm just asking for isolinux, simply because if your CD uses the isolinux bootmanager, the bootimage extractor will only extract the bootloder. If it is isolinux, you should be able to find the path to the floppy image in it's configuration file.I'd try the following, first search the CD for '*isolinux*' and if that leads to nothing, try searching inside the files for the bootmenu entry i.e. 'Partition Magic'.

I'm just asking for isolinux, simply because if your CD uses the isolinux bootmanager, the bootimage extractor will only extract the bootloder. If it is isolinux, you should be able to find the path to the floppy image in it's configuration file.I'd try the following, first search the CD for '*isolinux*' and if that leads to nothing, try searching inside the files for the bootmenu entry i.e. 'Partition Magic'.

Exactly that,

when i opened that image in image extractor, it shows a folder ISOLINUX and a file "pmagic" without any extention. And what did you said , i m unable to do that, how can I do that. I will be glade if u describe me from the beginning please. :unsure:

when i opened that image in image extractor, it shows a folder ISOLINUX and a file "pmagic" without any extention. And what did you said , i m unable to do that, how can I do that. I will be glade if u describe me from the beginning please. :unsure:

just open the 'pqmagic' file from Notepad. should be a plain text file. You should be able to find the path to the floppy image there.

look for something like

label partitionmagic
kernel memdisk
append initrd=/path/to/floppy/image

Structure of Partion magic liveCD

========

=liveCD=

========

One folder Named 'ISOLINUX' and one file named 'PMAGIC' without any extension.

ISOLINUX

--------

size: 6.70MB

Contains: 7 files

1> BOOT.CAT

2> BZIMAGE

3> INITRD.GZ

4> ISOLINUX.BIN

5> ISOLINUX.CFG

6> SPLASHPM.PNG

7> VESAMENU.C32

PMAGIC:

Size:23.9 MB

When i tired to open all file individually in hexedition only one file "ISOLINUX.CFG" is readable.

ISOLINUX.CFG

DEFAULT vesamenu.c32

PROMPT 0

TIMEOUT 200

ONTIMEOUT normal

MENU TABMSG The Linux LiveCD Partitioning Tool

MENU BACKGROUND splashpm.png

MENU TITLE Parted Magic LiveCD Boot Options Menu

LABEL normal

MENU LABEL ^1. Boot Parted Magic using the default settings

KERNEL bzImage

APPEND noapic initrd=initrd.gz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk_size=100000

LABEL skip

MENU LABEL ^2. Bypass the Extra Boot Options menu

KERNEL bzImage

APPEND noapic initrd=initrd.gz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk_size=100000 skip

LABEL skip-toram

MENU LABEL ^3. Run from RAM and bypass the Extra Boot Options menu

KERNEL bzImage

APPEND noapic initrd=initrd.gz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk_size=100000 skip toram

LABEL skip-xvesa-toram

MENU LABEL ^4. Run from RAM using Xvesa, bypass Extra Boot Options

TEXT HELP

Xvesa is a generic X server to

display standard VGA BIOS modes

and works with most computers.

In addition to low memory usage,

Xvesa is a good fallback if your

video card does not work in Xorg.

ENDTEXT

KERNEL bzImage

APPEND noapic initrd=initrd.gz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk_size=100000 skip xvesa toram

LABEL skip-xvesa

MENU LABEL ^5. Use Xvesa and bypass the Extra Boot Options menu

TEXT HELP

Xvesa is a generic X server to

display standard VGA BIOS modes

and works with most computers.

In addition to low memory usage,

Xvesa is a good fallback if your

video card does not work in Xorg.

ENDTEXT

KERNEL bzImage

APPEND noapic initrd=initrd.gz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk_size=100000 skip xvesa

LABEL lowmem

MENU LABEL ^6. Select for computers with less than 128 MB of RAM

KERNEL bzImage

APPEND noapic initrd=initrd.gz root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk_size=16384

post-134862-1191297736_thumb.jpg

i was confused since you said your CD was "Partition Magic" and I never knew a linux based one before form PowerQuest. But since you posted the isolinux.cfg, I could see that the program you are using is based on "parted/GParted". Seems like you need at least bzImage (linux kernel), initrd (initial ram-disk) and the pmagic file. And you need a cd boot-loader that can handle booting linux.

What are you planning to use as boot-loader on your own CD?

i was confused since you said your CD was "Partition Magic" and I never knew a linux based one before form PowerQuest. But since you posted the isolinux.cfg, I could see that the program you are using is based on "parted/GParted". Seems like you need at least bzImage (linux kernel), initrd (initial ram-disk) and the pmagic file. And you need a cd boot-loader that can handle booting linux.

What are you planning to use as boot-loader on your own CD?

i don't have any knowledge about linux boot loader. So please suggest me the easiest one.

and i m using Magic ISO to creat my multi-boot CD.

Please... help me.. :rolleyes:

I'd use Isolinux (the same bootloader as on the original), but I have yet to build a CD with it myself. I only know the configuration from the network bootloader pxelinux, which is made by the same author and uses the same configuration syntax.

http://syslinux.zytor.com/iso.php

configuration:

http://syslinux.zytor.com/faq.php

download:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/boot...slinux-3.52.zip (latest version as of today)

this package contains all the bootloaders and the source, but you will only need vesamenu.c32 and isolinux.bin from that.

for short, you will need to create a bootable cd, with whatever software you use, and set isolinux.bin as bootfile. isolinux.cfg, isolinux.bin and vesamenu.c32 go to the ISOLINUX folder in your cd's root directory.

To avoid coasters, use some virtualization software to test a ISO created by your cd burning software, such as VirtualPC, VirtualBox, VMware ... etc.