Issues when Upgrading from 2000 to 2003 server

Constantine

I tried searching for these topics but I couldn't find the topics so I figured I would post. I apologize if I missed them in my searching.

We are currently running 2 2000 Domain controllers. We want to upgrade both to 2k3 along with promoting 2k3 server in a remote location.

1 of the Domain Controllers is a Radius Server the other is our Terminal Services Licensing Server for our Windows 2000 Terminal Services Server.

Has anyone upgraded a Radius server and seen the settings carry over?

Also will upgrading our 2000 licensing server interfere with our Terminal Services Licenses? Will a 2000 Terminal Services Server still be able to use a 2003 Licensing Server?

Don't know about the RADIUS side of things, but there are some issues with upgrading terminal servers to 2K3 from a licensing perspective, although not the licensing servers themselves:

http://www.brianmadden.com/content/article...erver-Licensing

"Does your copy of Windows XP come with a free Windows Server 2003 TS CAL? If you bought it before April 24, 2003, then it does. If you bought if after that it does not, and you’ll have to buy a Windows 2003 TS CAL."

also see the comparison chart at:

http://www.brianmadden.com/content/article...s-2000-and-2003

If the users will still be logging into a Windows 2000 Terminal Server, you do NOT have to purchase TSCALs. Your license server must run on a Domain Controller, which as you've said will be upgraded to Server 2003. All you need to do is activate the Terminal Server and it should automatically pickup the Windows 2000 Terminal Services CALs.

However, if you also upgrade the Terminal Server to Server 2003, you will need to purchase TSCALs. I just went through the same thing on a side job. We left the Terminal Server running Windows 2000 until the TSCALs were purchased. Because of their purchase process it took a few months to get them ordered. There was no break in service. Once the TSCALs were purchased we reinstalled the Terminal Server with Server 2003, installed the TSCALs on the license server and everything continued as normal for the users.

That is exactly what I was hoping to hear.

We are currently trying to kill off our terminal services completely and are switching to clear cubes, but we still need TS for now and wanted to upgrade our DC's.

Thanks for the information. I greatly appreciate your help.