Win98SE IE6 Certificate troubles

silver007

I just installed a fresh SE, applied this update http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html then upgraded to IE6.

IE became very nutty. The main thing is I could not, no matter how low I set security or how many boxes I unchecked in the Security section of Advanced, get IE to stop asking over and over if I wanted to continue with a site that had an invalid certificate. Also, it kept locking up if I clicked too fast :rolleyes:

Does anyone know if this is a symptom of 98SE's "oldness", the patch or the IE6 upgrade? The obvious thing is to start the process of elimination, which I'll do when I get home. Just hoping someone can offer suggestions before I get dug into it.

Thanks

P.S. Hello everyone! My first post on this board!

Edited by silver007

Does anyone know if this is a symptom of 98SE's "oldness", the patch or the IE6 upgrade?
IMO the symptom(s) is one of an incomplete IE6 installation which is a fairly common aliment. I would reinstall IE6 right away but I would do it from a hard drive which for some reason seems to work better just like installing/reinstalling Windows from a hard drive works better than the same operation done from a CD for example. If you have the IE6 installation files on CD then just copy the entire folder to your hard drive and double click on ie6setup.exe in that folder once the files are in place. You can delete the files when done giving you some 80 megs of space back as well.

Further and this is the most important part, one has to select the Custom choice and manually re-check each and every box that was checked before in order that the item desired to be installed then gets extracted from the cab files and then reinstalled properly. There is a misleading prompt that can state that you have reinstalled all the files when you haven't done that at all, so be careful of that lying aspect of ie6setup.exe file. You can only get IE reinstalled when you have manually checked the boxes or launched the wizard with the proper switches. Unfortunately the switch method gets pretty cumbersome after two or three items of reinstallation and I have no desire to test the limit of that method when manually checking works for a total reinstall of IE6. IE6 can be reinstalled at any time with no penalties other than needing a revist to WinUP site for the redoing of a compliment of security updates.

Internet Explorer Batch Mode Setup Switches

I probably would have installed IE6 first and then done the http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html update. That would then leave the http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html files as the last men standing as it were. You can still start all over before you get any further settled into this particular invocation of Win98se. The first sign of real buggyness sends me right to drastic measures - I've been there before and I didn't like it very much/lost some real good stuff that way. But I don't consider just needing a reinstallation of IE a very big bug that needs drastic measures such as a clean reinstall of Windows, all that is called for as far as I can tell is an IE6 reinstallation. Five minutes, a reboot and you are done.

Hi and welcome. I'm pretty new around here myself.

Thanks very much for all the info.

Turns out my date was wrong - how the year got set to 2018 is beyond me.

So, the certificate problem is gone but IE still acts a bit funny, saying it can't load pages sometimes when the page is there. I don't get "Page cannot be displayed" but a popup error box. Strange.

Anyway, I've got a bad feeling about these updates. The first one I tried at exuberant never restarted the machine like typical updates used to and IE6 crashed a lot. I'm no programmer but that seemed strange to me. I reinstalled SE then used AutoPatcher98 (which rebooted something like 1,242,223 times) and got what seemed like a massive load of stuff installed I don't think I need. Got a handy Network icon in the tray now, LOL.

Is there any update package that is considered the most well put together, most basic? This OS will only be used when Linux fails to provide the app needed from time to time and for the occasional gaming spurt.

No harm intended to the coders of these updates. I just feel like the packages try to do too much at one time, but they are a necessity we wouldn't have without the authors and this OS would be much 'deader' if it weren't for those guys.

You are quite welcome.

Is there any update package that is considered the most well put together, most basic?

Not that I'm aware of since it's mostly a matter of opinion of what that "basic" state would be. The most minor "update" I can think of would be Microsoft's own Security CD from Feb 04. But it will still update you to IE6 if you don't have it already, Media Player 9, MDAC 2.8, and DirectX 9b all without any say so about any of it from you and with several reboots thrown in. Your only choice is to not start the update process. You then get an odd dozen critical security updates applied, some of which have been outdated and replaced at the WinUP site so you need to go there when done anyway.

An .iso of the Security CD can be found here under the name of windowsUpdate2004.iso (460 meg)

Menno Hershberger's Utilities

Back then, plenty of people had all kinds of troubles just following the directions and getting the CD to apply itself properly. If you've got a flaky machine, you'll have troubles with any set of updates I would assume. And the only way I've been able to avoid a flaky machine is to install Windows from the Hard drive "clean" and set a big honker of a minimum swap file size with no maximum, but then I've only got 128 meg of RAM and run a 233MHz AMD-K6. I started at 32 megs RAM with a 133 MHz MMx Pentium, of all the hardware upgrades I've done, the only thing that really made her sit up and bark so I could notice it was the 300 megabyte minimum swap file setting.

Your current pop up box troubles almost sounds like an old Java prompt as if you might be running dangerous MS Java of lesser than 3810 build which is an open invitation to every Trojan out there. I don't think any update packages deals with such issues, and so you'll have to install MSJava 3810 and/or the latest Sun Java on your own if you want the barest minimum in protection from malware while running Windows. Even the MS Security CD doesn't address this Java situation, no doubt due to the Sun Java/Microsoft lawsuit which Sun won and forbids such things from happening, but that is no help at all for someone looking for basic security protection. And there's that word again - basic.

Java Tester

Sandi's All about Java

I would also still reinstall IE6 since it don't cost nothing but 5 minutes.