Have 100Mbps connection, but can't establish Network Group

cableghost

I have a visual network connection established but can't share files or access other computers files/folders, or access internet at all.

I have:

1. XP Pro desktop and XP Pro laptop connecting at home.

2. Established 'matching' usernames with matching passwords on both computers.

3. made the 100Mbps connection (icon shows computers connected) with cross-over.

4. setup/added a Home Network on both computers- 1 connecting directly to internet, the other connecting thru networked computer.

5. established sharing (not Simple Sharing) on a specific folder on both computers, with permissions to Administrators, Username, and System.

6. I have even tried by adding NetBUI.

Is there something that I'm not doing or not doing right?

-----------

Thanks,

Scott

http://www.rochester.edu/its/telecom/vpn/t...ials/winxp.html

try that site

did you disable the built in firewall of XP?

Did you try to ping the PC's to see if they see each other? If you cant ping, then its the cable connection or the IP address

Did you enable ICS on both machines?

try this site

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/usi...net/default.asp

another thing you can try is proxy server from analog X. Its a great simple ICS tool that I used for a long time before going with a wireless router. Its a free tiny download and is simple to configure. I can also assist you with it as I have extensive experience with it.

http://www.analogx.com/files/proxyi.exe

download is there

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download/network/proxy.htm

info there.

Big Booger

I got it working again- I'm not certain what happened to bring the network offline in the first place, but I went through all the steps, such as permissions, ICS, etc. and re-created network and it works fine now ... go figure.

-----------

Thanks,

Scott

I have networked two computers using a NetGear websafe router as the hub. The host is WinXp and the client is Win2000. I can share folders but ICS won't work. Both TCP/IP setting are set to obtail an IP address automatically. IPCONFIG on the host says its assigned 192.168.0.5 and the client is 192.168.0.2. When I try to enable ICS on the host, I get the error 799 "Internet Connection Sharing (IC cannot be enabled due to an IP address conflict on the network. ICS requires the host be configured to use 192.168.0.1. Please ensure that no other client on the network is configured to use 192.168.0.1".

However, I don't have any other computers on this network. When I ping the client from either the host or the client, I get a reply with the name of that computer. And likewise when I ping the host from either computer.

I also tried pinging 192.168.0.1 and I get a reply but no computer name. Is it possible that 192.168.0.1 is assigned on my network to a "dummy" computer which may be causing my problem. Any idea how to rectify this since ICS tries to reassign 192.168.0.1 to the host, which now has a conflict?

I finally got it to work by disabling DHCP in the router config and enabling ICS on the host machine. The router was using 192.168.0.1 for the DSL port, but it wasn't being used. Since my host was using a dial-up, I guess DHCP wasn't working (or maybe I still don't know what I am doing.) Anyway, when ICS tried to reconfigure the host computer with 192.168.0.1, I was getting the conflict even though the only other computer was being assigned something different. I configured the router to start at 192.168.0.2 so the host could be assigned 192.168.0.1 by ICS. The client is 192.168.0.3.

Works like a charm.

Thanks.