Delayed Write Failed

erm i got a cheapo adapter which worked well until i did not "Safely Removed" and offed the power and got "Windows - Delayed Write Failed". whats it, what causes it.

i am thinking that it because i hibernated the comp and data is not writtened to the HDD - when i offed the HDD? it happened to me sometimes with a proper Seagate/Ovation USB HDD but no data seem to be lost. in my case now, folders are there, Partition properties says i used up 100+GB of space (as like no data lost) when Folder properties says 0bytes

and also, this USB adapter thing seem to need a restart to be detected by windwos otherwise, a change of USB ports also worked

I don’t know what you do but you have something with Hard disks…

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=102990

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=103818

Again, did you use the program I linked too in previous posts?

And then we have this post:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=104164

So, looks like your system is unstable...

... in my case now, folders are there, Partition properties says i used up 100+GB of space (as like no data lost) when Folder properties says 0bytes...

I got a different feeling here, thought you had a messed up drive again ;).

• 2 weeks later...

Delayed write is used by fixed drives (not recommended by external drives). It basically is a way your computer thinks it's finished writing to the drive but it actually writes long after your copying/moving dialog disappears. It's used for fixed drives since you won't be unplugging them.

For USB drives, you want that setting turned off since you are going to unplug them (intentionally or accidentally). So, even after your copying/moving dialog disappears, there will be activity that it is still writing. If you unplug in, then it will not have finished and you get a delayed write failed error.

Check your right-click properties of the drive and read through to help you choose the setting right for the type of drive.

(Also, even your fixed drives can cause a delayed-write failed when your drive is starting to fail. I was having a problem with one and eventually it drive making the clicking noise - basically the head wouldn't move to read the drive. So, it could be a sign of a failing drive.)

I would copy all the data to another drive, format, and copy it back to see if this ever happens again. It could be something wrong with a corrupt MFT.

Edited by spacesurfer