Scandisk always scheduled on D drive?

bbone

On my sis WinXP machine, suddently (undubtely she install some crap or so...) after every restart/power on a scandisk briefly scan the NFTS D drive (SYS C is FAT32). Just the there quick pases, but it is [bleep] annoing.

I can't find anything in autoruns, much less in startup control pannel.

Anyone have any clue/suggestions where to look?

PS. no IE used (in fact, IE get deleted!) and Ad-Aware or Spybot result in NO problems found. Also it continue to happening even I scanned manually and completely the D drive... That in fact means, that I for example can't even defragment the drive, because Diskeeper will keep telling me, that scandisk is scheduled to run on D drive...

Hence how I disable this automatic schedule on...? Where to look?

fsutil dirty query d: says the drive is not clean (dirty) right after boot WITH scandisk already scanned the drive quickly (3 phases)

But it do so when I manually let the through mode of scan on it too, 5 phases, took like infinity on 160G PATA Maxtor drive... :rolleyes:

If fsutil says it is "dirty", most probably it is. :whistle:

Did you try to run CHKDSK /F ?

Did you try to run CHKDSK /R ?

If yes what errors were reported in Event Log?

Reference:

http://www.ss64.com/nt/chkdsk.html

You could use chkntfs /X:

http://www.ss64.com/nt/chkntfs.html

but only AFTER you are 100% positive that the volume is perfectly allright! :ph34r:

jaclaz

Well, yes, the trive is 100% fault free.

The question is more like - how to stop the somewhat automatic dirty bit setting to it that is happening now.

At first I thought that sis just improperly shut down the machine (or it crashed), but when after every attempts to do scandisk through check the number of errors and bad sectors remaining at ZERO, I getting the idea that it might not be related to the drive at all, but rather something in win goes FUBAR.

The Chkntfs /X d: sounds interesting, but does that mean the win does not recheck the drive anymore? (till I reset this settings with /D option?) That could be bad too... Checking the drive automaticaly when things go bad is a good thing to do, right?

Bad & worser news :rolleyes:

PowerMax find out that the drive is, using the long scan, 100% certified error free.

Exactly as I expected. ****. There is also nothing suspicious in the Boot Execute - just the autocheck, as standard.

Runscanner does work pretty nicely on my Win2k SP4 machine (hardly optimized!) but it does refuse to work at all on the sis XP SP 1.0a nLite machine, claiming this:

runscannererrorah1.th.gif

Using fsutil dirty set d: set the drive as dirty (it is always dirty after boot anyway) and hence re-setting it again as drity does have zero effect. The "auto dirty drive problem" is not going away this way.

Shall I try the

chkntfs /X D:

...?

It will disable the checking completely on the D drive - this is probably worser thing that have to checked the drive all the boot time, tough just for a test? Or maybe try chkntfs /D to restore the default settings there? :rolleyes: Suggestions?

Actually, while they may seem "strange", when I ask some questions while trying to troubleshoot a problem:

Did you try to run CHKDSK /F ?

Did you try to run CHKDSK /R ?

If yes what errors were reported in Event Log?

I expect an answer to them :whistle: .

You see, the drive can be 100% OK, but the filesystem on it may not. :blink:

Do run the said commands and report.

jaclaz

I already tried the through complete drive scan, including back blocks and the drive is certified error free.

I always let the scandisk boot scan run/finish.

Only thing that help is fsutil /X D: ;)

This stop the checking of D: completely. However the drive is STILL dirty after reboot. This is weird. How come the XP insist on the drive being so dirty? :wacko: That is the question. I run the scandisk in windows and the drive is still dirty. I run it trhoughly in recovery console on next reboot and quess what. The drive is still dirty... :rolleyes:

Well, then most probably there is something that operates on the drive when XP is running, I guess we are back to square 1:

(undubtely she install some crap or so...)

You could try using a monitor tool like Sysinternals ones to check what writes to disk (and it shouldn't) the fact that the drive is D:\ should mean it is not the drive from which Windows XP boots from, doesn't it?

Also, you could try running chkdisk TWICE, one after another from Recovery Console, if on second try the volume is not dirty, definitely it is something in the GUI XP that sets the flag.

jaclaz

My stepbro moved the HDD to new machine, reinstalled windows and - there we go - scandisk once again after every boot :lol:;)

He moved the data, reformated and - no more problems :)

That fixed it! :P

Next time I know better :blushing: