IE7 problem

Eolfird

I am currently having a problem. We are upgrading our systems to IE7. Its only used as an interface to connect to a citrix server and a few other custom buttons. so 2 things.

First id like to have just my custom buttons on there after install, in a particular order with seperators aswell. This isnt that important as i dont mind doing this manually.

Then how do you get rid of the menu bar. I am using GPEDIT.msc to restrict access to IE, so it is hidden, but press f10 and there it is. how can i stop this?

can anybody help?

use a screwdriver and remove all of the F10 keys :)

God, I love that. Great humor!!!!

If I were writing a "How To----" on ways to screw up a perfectly good computer, allowing I.E.7 to ever install itself on the 'puter would be right at the top of the list.

I had to remove it from my own PC and the PC's of many of my customers because it screwed up Outlook Express and other things.

Even after running the uninstall in Add/Remove programs, and I.E.6 took over, I still had to go into the options in O.E.6 and fix all that I.E.7 had screwed up.

I.E.7......the modern day ME. Another screw up from Microshaft!

:whistle:

If you're running IE7, you should set the "Turn on menu bar by default" policy to DISABLED under User Configuration\Administrative Templates\Windows Components\Internet Explorer. I have tested this, and it disables the File | Edit | View.... menu properly. The registry key and value for this setting is:

Key:   HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main
Value: AlwaysShowMenus
Type: REG_DWORD
Data: 0 | 1 - 0 disables the menus completely, 1 enables them

ok thanks thats great!!!!

I now have another problem :( how am i supposed to get rid of the favorite icons on the toolbar. They are so annoying but doesnt seem to be anyway of deleting them.

All you guys out there saying how IE 7 sucks and it messed things up, you obviously dont understand what im talking about. so thanks anyway.

That's a bigger problem, because you cannot disable just the favorites icons (although you can disable the Home | RSS | Print | Tools | etc portion of the command bar). You have to disable the entire command bar, which removes the favorites icons, tabs, and the icon section of the command bar as well - here's the reg change for that, and once you add it and open IE, you'll see what I mean:

Key:   HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbars\Restrictions
Value: NoCommandBar
Type: REG_DWORD
Data: 1

Since you likely want to have some Citrix icons in the command bar, this probably isn't going to help you.