Cracked Mb?

RJM

Well, I broke it. Yesterday I knocked over my computer and I believe that the two pound Scythe Infinity has cracked my motherboard. Green light on board, no hd activity, removed video card, hard drives, memory, CPU - no beeps. The next question is what to get to replace the Asus P5W-DH-Delux, should I get the same thing or something more recent and if I do change the motherboard am I going to have to reactivate windows. I'm in kind of a hurry here because by backup computer is waiting for a replacement HD from Western Digital and I'm stuck using a PII 400Mhz. From 3400 down to 400 is quite a slowdown. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I recommend replacing it with a P5B Deluxe. I realize your current board is based on the 975, but the 965 is actually newer. It also users a newer southbridge (ICH8 vs. ICH7). There was a specific reason I went with a 965 based motherboard over a 975 based board...but a year later and I can't remember what that reason was! It had something to do with supported features and something the 965 supports that the 975 doesn't...I just can't remember exactly what it is.

I just ordered another P5W. I think it would be the quickest way to get my system back up.

After 6 hours I finaly got the PII-400 WIN98 machine to see the modem 50% of the time and it now has USB support

but I still can't get it to see my SATA PCI card. :angry: Grrr. Stuck in slow mode.

I checked with Western Digital and they are getting ready to ship the replacement drive(JB series) for my backup computer. Maybe I'll get them both fixed next weekend.

Current pre-backup computer (the only one that still works) Compaq P-II 400MHZ 384MB PC-133 RAM

onboard audio/ video, 8GB Quantum Bigfoot hard drive( 794 MB free).

Edited to add the specs of what I'm using untill I get my other two computers fixed.

Edited by RJM