System won't power on

dwarfer

So my mate rang today and asked me if I could go around and look at his PC for him because it wouldn't turn on and he thought the PSU was faulty. I went round and when he presses the power button it comes on, the fans spin up and after about 2 seconds it *Beeps* and then goes off and can only be turned on again if you turn it off and on again at the mains. I told him I couldn't fix it and its probably a failing PSU or failing or failed hardware.

Do you guys have any ideas as to what this could be because I'd like to let him know before he takes it to the shop for repairs tomorrow.

Thanks!

All I can think of is....

Lend him a spare/your PSU to try.

Try resetting the BIOS. The motherboard should have a reset jumper. See manual for details.

Is there a chance something (CPU?) has become dislodged?

Edited by SmaugyGrrr

So my mate rang today and asked me if I could go around and look at his PC for him because it wouldn't turn on and he thought the PSU was faulty. I went round and when he presses the power button it comes on, the fans spin up and after about 2 seconds it *Beeps* and then goes off and can only be turned on again if you turn it off and on again at the mains. I told him I couldn't fix it and its probably a failing PSU or failing or failed hardware.

Do you guys have any ideas as to what this could be because I'd like to let him know before he takes it to the shop for repairs tomorrow.

Thanks!

Sounds like anti-processor overheating protection being triggered! Especially if it wasn't cleaned by himself!

Let me guess, possibly major dust.

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

Just one beep?

please read this...........

1) Ensure everything is firmly connected

2) Try a different outlet in the house

3) Try clearing the CMOS (remove battery from mainboard + unplug power from wall, wait for a few minutes, reconnect)

4) Try a minimal boot using just the following components: :thumbup :thumbup

-Mainboard

-Power Supply

-CPU

-A Single memory module

If you get beeps from step 4, proceed to add a VGA adapter and keyboard, boot again

If that gives you some form of display, add a hard drive, boot again

If that gives you more of your system, add another remaining component, and so on, when you find the one that halts the boot process, you've likely found the damaged component