Office 2003 Unattended - Update Problems

ryanm7

EDIT: Please skip to the bottom of this post....

I'm attempting to create a Unattended install of Microsoft Office 2003 - and am running into problems w/slipstreaming updates.

I'm following instructions from here: http://unattended.msfn.org/unattended.xp/view/web/46/

Here's what I have currently done:

I created the administrative installation of Office successfully (I know it is successful because it installed when I ran it). After that, I slipstreamed in SP2 and all the updates that I downloaded from: http://wud.jcarle.com/UpdateLists.aspx

The updates I slipstreamed were:

EXCELff.msp

GPFILTff.msp

INFOPATH.msp

OKINTLff.msp

OTKLOADR.msp

OUTLFLTR.msp

OUTLOOKff.msp

POWERPNTff.msp

WINWORDff.msp

I extracted them by using this command one update at a time:

msiexec /p <filename.msp> /a C:\Office2003\pro11.msi SHORTFILENAMES=TRUE /qb

When this finished, I created a custom .MSI to set my features up how I like them...

When I do the install via CMD ( start /wait setup.exe TRANSFORMS="C:\Documents and Settings\helpme\Desktop\PC Build Apps\Office2003\Unattended.MST" /qb- ) the install runs. However, after all of this, running www.windowsupdates.com gives me a list of 16 updates.......

The only thing that I can think of is that the updates were not comprehensive...

After typing all of this, I've just realized that the update list is from 2006. So my real question is now: Where can I download administrative updates from microsoft?

I've searched the names (KB******) on google and on the microsoft KB with no luck. The list of updates is:

KB936643

KB936048

KB940602

KB914455

KB934181

KB934180

KB933669

KB925251

KB920813

KB924085

KB919029

KB923097

KB894542

KB920103

KB907417

So...after all of that, my question is:

Where can I download these updates? I don't expect links to each, just point out where I am supposed to look and I will be your slave for life. Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post -

Google found the updates, I'm now looking for the administrative install version.

Ryan

Edited by ryanm7

I seem to be having much the sam eproblem as you. I integrated all patches into the admin installaion point but MS updat still reports more patches needed. Did you ever find a solution to this issue? Am I overlooking something? What I find curious is that office update (even though you cant use it for administrativce installs) reports the installation being up to date.

You're not alone. I can slipstream SP2 no problem. The process for slipstreaming the hotfixes goes fine too, but when I run a scan against the system, after the installation, it still shows that all the same hotfixes are applicable. I'd love to find an answer to what's going on.

• 3 weeks later...
You're not alone. I can slipstream SP2 no problem. The process for slipstreaming the hotfixes goes fine too, but when I run a scan against the system, after the installation, it still shows that all the same hotfixes are applicable. I'd love to find an answer to what's going on.

The answer to your question can be found here:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...st&p=594945

Microsoft Updates does not inventory your office install it merely checks the add remove programs list in your registry.

Office Updates performs its own version of an inventory of your actual Office install and is somewhat accurate. It will not show any slipstreamed patches as still being needed, even if they are not in add remove programs

It is also mentioned that you can make MU believe that hotfixes are installed by adding the missing registry entries. Can anybody tell how and where to add these entries?

I noticed that the answer to my question about the missing registry entries is already provided by user "OverFlow" in the same topic that I quoted from. See:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showto...st&p=579833

You will need a donor system for getting the registry entries that list the Office 2003 patches. On my system, the patches are listed under:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Installer\UserData\S-1-5-18\Products\3140110900063D11C8EF10054038389C\Patches]