HELP! Vista killed my wireless access!

Wolverine 21

I am sincerely hoping someone has an idea on how to fix this problem:

My new laptop came with Windows Home Basic installed. After it crashed multiple times a day, I switched to XP Pro. As it turns out, my laptop was not built to support XP (there are no drivers available for sound or the expandable drive). So now I've installed Vista Ultimate, 32bit.

My wireless connection was fully functional under both XP and Vista Home Basic. But for some reason, I cannot connect to any wireless networks, secured or unsecured, using Vista Ultimate. And a hard-line connection works fine.

I can recognize networks and attempt to connect to them, but I immediately receive a notice that "This computer cannot connect to wireless networks".

I uninstalled and reinstalled the wireless card and it appears the card is functioning normally. I've changed virtually all the settings on my D-Link wireless router, but that isn't the issue since I cannot connect to any networks. I've also removed Norton and turned off the windows firewall, so there isn't any firewalls impeding access.

In sum, I've spent about 5 hours on the phone with Toshiba and D-Link; the result of which was a promise from Toshiba to "work on the problem and call me back".

Are there any ideas??? Could something have happened during the transfer from XP to Vista Ultimate?? It just doesn't make sense that it worked fine under Vista Home Basic but not with Ultimate. Has anyone heard of a similar problem?

Thanks very much for any comments. Relevant details:

Laptop: Toshiba Satellite U305-S5107

Wireless Card: Intel Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN

i am not 100% on this but i think there is a few services that needs to be turned on. check black viper site for more info

i think the default wireless service in set to manual try setting it to auto see if it helps

according to this web site http://www.blackviper.com/WinVista/Service..._AutoConfig.htm

WLAN AutoConfig

Default Description:

This service enumerates WLAN adapters, manages WLAN connections and profiles.

Additional Information:

This service is required for Wireless Networks as well as the following group of services:

* CNG Key Isolation

* Extensible Authentication Protocol

* Wired AutoConfig

* WLAN AutoConfig

WLAN AutoConfig, if set to Manual or Automatic, will not start automaticly if you use a hardware switch (such as those on laptops to turn on and off the wireless network card). If you require wireless connectivity on your computer, keep the listed services above on the default values. If you do not have a wireless card installed on the system, or do not require authentication on your wired network card, the group of services can safely be disabled.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!

Grafx1 - I had not installed the new updates at first. When I noticed the problem, I did install the updates. So it did not work under with or without the updates

Jackie - I turned those values back to default and still no luck.

Gamehead 200 - It was a clean wipe and new install.

Keep them coming guys....please!

• 3 weeks later...

I actually had the very same problem when i got my new laptop with vista home premium on it. I friggin called tech support for my wireless router and they charged me $14 to "fix the problem". Yea they couldnt help me. I finally figured out a solution though! (like literally 10 minutes ago). Make sure you haave UPnP DISABLED on your router. Once I did this my router worked fine with vista! I hope this solution works for you! and believe you me... i'm going to be calling for my $14 back! Oh and just make sure all your router settings are back to the factory default... if you try doing this change with other variables changed theres no telling if it will work... my suggestion is to reset your router to factory settings. Disable to UPnP... and give it a try... if it works then start changing the other settings as you see fit!

Tell me about it, I work in a school and we have laptops coming in wanting wireless connection. It was all Jolly until Vista started turning up on the students laptops.

Things that I found sometimes worked for me:

1. Norton Internet Security, this caused problems on XP but on Vista it was at another level.

2. Try changing the Use SSL 3.0 , maybe add Use SSL 2.0 also... This worked on occasions. This is ofcourse you have managed to connect to the wirless but no webpages are appearing.

3. An obvious one but check your proxy settings aren't causing a problem.

4. Check your connection in the network connections and make sure you have set your Key for your wireless TKIP thing... If you use that.

5. Good luck