Remote Assistant Question...

atari37

Use Remote Assistance. Like cluberti said, it's completely domain aware and can (and should) be configured through Group Policy. You don't have to have the client intiate it either. Make a new shortcut called "Offer Remote Assistance" with the following target (it's all one line):

hcp://CN=Microsoft%20Corporation,L=Redmond,S=Washington,C=US/Remote%20Assistance/Escalation/Unsolicited/unsolicitedrcui.htm

That goes through the "unsoliciated" Remote Assistance dialogs in Help and Support. Basically you run the shortcut, put in the computer name or IP address and hit Connect. It'll show you who is logged in on the destination computer and ask if you want to connect to their session. On their end they'll receive a notification and have to click Yes. From there it's just like any other Remote Assistance connection.

VNC is not only a security vulnerability but it's slow compared to Remote Assitance and Remote Desktop.

Remote Assistance is not working for me. I edited the GPO to enable Remote Assistance, then I rebooted one of my workstations. Went back to the server and run the above target. I get the window to type in an IP or Computer name. I did and it returned "The remote server machine does not exist or is unavailable"

What am I missing here? The workstation I tried connecting to is on the DC.

Do you have the XP firewall enabled on your workstations? If so, you'll have to configure that...

Also, how did you configure the group policy settings?

I configured the group policy via AD and yes, Windows firewall was the culprit. For some reason windows firewall had precedence over my McAfee firewall.

two new issues...even thought I have Remote Assistance setup to allow me to connect and take over, it still only gives me the view only mode once a connection is created. I can't click anything from my machine, I can only view.

Secondly, user interaction is required to create a connection. The user has to accept the connection from their end. Is it possible to do without any user interaction.

What am I overlooking?

Edited by atari37

I configured the group policy via AD and yes, Windows firewall was the culprit. For some reason windows firewall had precedence over my McAfee firewall.
If you're running McAfee firewall then you should disable the XP firewall. You can do this through a Group Policy as well.
two new issues...even thought I have Remote Assistance setup to allow me to connect and take over, it still only gives me the view only mode once a connection is created. I can't click anything from my machine, I can only view.
You can take control. You have to click the "take control" button on your end (it's at the top of the Remote Assistance window). The user will have to click on "Yes" to allow this, but once they do you'll have full interaction with their session.
Secondly, user interaction is required to create a connection. The user has to accept the connection from their end. Is it possible to do without any user interaction.
This is by design. As far as I know, there's no way around this. Any time I use RA I'm usually on the phone with the user. I just instruct them "ok, you'll see a dialog on your screen in just a second...click Yes when it appears".

If you're running McAfee firewall then you should disable the XP firewall. You can do this through a Group Policy as well.
You can take control. You have to click the "take control" button on your end (it's at the top of the Remote Assistance window). The user will have to click on "Yes" to allow this, but once they do you'll have full interaction with their session.
This is by design. As far as I know, there's no way around this. Any time I use RA I'm usually on the phone with the user. I just instruct them "ok, you'll see a dialog on your screen in just a second...click Yes when it appears".

Thank you...that solved all my issues.