2003 PPTP client setup

Stik62

This is my first attempt at setting up PPTP for site to site to third party PPTP server. Here is my network; router/gateway/switch------server 2003 (dns, dhcp, rras for remote pptp access) and a couple of workstations. All works fine for remote pptp access to my server. I am attempting a connection to a remote Linksys RV042 PPTP server using my 2003 as a client (calling router). I have added the Demand dial Interface and i can connect to the Linksys via PPTP and ping the Linksys but not any other devices on the remote network from my server. I can not ping anything on the remote network from any workstations in my network. I have tried to find documentation on how to accomplish this but have been unsuccessful. Can any one help out? Is this even possible?

Thanks

Yes the Linksys does support IPSEC but my local router only supports pass through and setting up IPSEC on 2003 seems insanely difficult (i tried it once with no success). I am not trying to secure goverment secrets so PPTP would be fine for now. PPTP is supposed to be easier to manage and deploy. Besides i would like to know if it will work.

well know you have said you got it all connected, the question now is how is the networks setup at both sites? o they use differnet IP ranges and dhcp servers? is the router inbetween routing those different ranges correctly?

My network is client server running 1 server 2003 for everything including DC and a basic firewall/DSL router as a gateway (no VPN capabilities). The remote network is a small workgroup with the Linksys as the DHCP/Internet gateway/VPN server. There are no configuration settings on the Linksys for PPTP except "Enable" and adding client accounts (username and password) so as far as the remote network setup goes do I need to do some kind of routing on both ends to get the workstations through the VPN servers?

Edited by Stik62

Um... Honestly, this sounds like an exercise in the the right way to do something wrong. Using the Server as a client endpoint of a VPN?

Get a 2nd VPN box and setup a (proper) Gateway-to-Gateway VPN and 99% of the problems/headachs/etc. you're about to create will simply vanish.