What server for Win2003?

rsb

Hi.

Could somebody recommend a server for Domiancontroller, Exchange and Terminal. I was thinking about 3 servers. One for Domaincontroller, etc...

The Terminal server should support 15-30 clients. All users will connect with windows xp, remote and at the office.

Thanks

I suppose it depends on the specifications. My only advice would be not to install Exchange on your Domain Controller. A Domain Controller is mainly for authentication, so you could install Terminal Services on your Domain Controller. :wacko:

If it's an SBS version of Server 2003, then obviously you will be installing Exchange on your DC, as the SBS version is tweaked to work under the loads it is capable with both roles. However, for any other version of Windows Server 2003, you would want to separate your Exchange and DC roles, and if it's going to be a busy TS, you would want to have a separate server for that as well.

You should be able to use Windows Server 2003 Standard for these servers, depending on the user load you are going to be putting on these boxes.

Hi,

I will run all 3 systems (domain, exchange and terminal) separatly.

So one server just for domain controller, one just for exhange and one just for terminal.

Any recommendation? Maybe DELL 2950 for the terminal?

thanks

We need some information first...

How many users?

How many workstations?

How many Exchange users (include possible organizational mailboxes in the count)?

Are you planning on using one as a file server (or is this already in place)?

Are you planning on using one as a print server (can be consolidated on the file server)?

A Dell PowerEdge 2950 should provide plenty of power (and then some) for 15-30 clients. It's hard to recommend servers for the other services without knowing the above information though.

Hi

In the beginning it will be max 25users, it will be 15 workstations, around 30 exchange users, am planning to buy a fileserver in addition to the other servers, it will also run as the printerserver.

All users will use Office, Visio, and some small other programs, maybe some will use photoshop etc

Thanks for the help

You say "in the beginning". What's the growth plan? Four servers (1 DC, 1 Exchange, 1 TS and 1 FS/PS) is a lot for just 15 computers and 25 users. Don't get me wrong, I'm all about splitting up resources...but I'm also all about not putting in more equipment than is necessary for a given task.

If you're only talking growing to about say 50 users, I would just get one server with Small Business Server for the DC/Exchange and another server for FS/PS/TS.

I take it this is for a new business?

Hi,

Yes its for a new business, and we are talking about max 50users the first year.

What servers will you recommend then? What about backup, just a extended NAS drive? Or run RAID1 or 5 on the servers?

Thanks again

Hi

In the beginning it will be max 25users, it will be 15 workstations, around 30 exchange users, am planning to buy a fileserver in addition to the other servers, it will also run as the printerserver.

All users will use Office, Visio, and some small other programs, maybe some will use photoshop etc

Thanks for the help

Please tell me you're not planning on trying to run PhotoShop via Terminal Services ... There's not a right to do that. What is it you feel you need a terminal server for?

Hi,

Yes its for a new business, and we are talking about max 50users the first year.

What servers will you recommend then? What about backup, just a extended NAS drive? Or run RAID1 or 5 on the servers?

Thanks again

Small Business Server 2003 R2 is good for up to 75 users or devices (you have to choose which Client Access License (CAL) type you want). Once you grow beyond that point you have to move to the standalone versions of the individual products (Server 2003, Exchange 2003, etc). The CAL type you choose needs to be planned out before you start. For example, if some of your users will be accessing the network remotely (from home) then you'll probably want to choose User CALs.

The 75 user/device limit is why I asked about the number of users/computers. If you only plan on a maximum of 50 users within the first year then I'd probably start with SBS 2003 R2...unless you know for sure that you're going to grow beyond that after the first year. Additionally, SBS 2003 R2 includes Exchange 2003 with a maximum limit of 75GB per mailbox. The latest version of Exchange is 2007. You need to make a decision on which version of Exchange you want to run. Obviously your mailbox size limits will actually depend on how much drive space you have. 75GB is A LOT for a single mailbox, but your mailbox usage can also explode a lot faster than you expect. Say you set each mailbox to a 10GB limit and you have 50 users. In that case you'd need to make sure you have at least 500GB of space available just for Exchange.

Hi

Thanks for the help

Please tell me you're not planning on trying to run PhotoShop via Terminal Services ... There's not a right to do that. What is it you feel you need a terminal server for?

Agreed...running any image manipulation software over TS is not a good idea.

Are you planning on having all of the users login to the TS to use Office applications?

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

Hi again

I agree, photoshop was a bad example. Yes, they will just run word, excel, powerpoint, finance program, 75GB will be more than enough for each user. Yes all will loggin by using remote desktop. Isnt that a good idea? So they have all there files etc no matter where they are in the world

So 2x DELL 2950 should do all work and just a backup server?

thanks again

Hi again

I agree, photoshop was a bad example. Yes, they will just run word, excel, powerpoint, finance program, 75GB will be more than enough for each user. Yes all will loggin by using remote desktop. Isnt that a good idea? So they have all there files etc no matter where they are in the world

thanks again

Well... That tends to force them into an "All-or-None" situation, requires quite a bit of (Guaranteed) bandwidth, and tons of server side RAM. Are all of the users going to be on the road, and need full access to everything?

Outlook can gain access to the Exchange server using RPC over HTTP to handle their Email/Calendar/etc. needs, and works quite well with (cellular broadband) AirCard connections.

The finance application (What ever it may be...) may require TS to allow its on the road use ... But I'd try to keep some options open in regard to the other stuff to avoid completely locking people out of the office during an outage (...IT happens/Single point of failure stuff).

I'm just thinking out loud here :)

Stoic Joker

Hi again

thanks again

I wouldn't have them do anything through RDP unless they're on the road...and even then I would opt for VPN instead. Also keep in mind that you have to have enough Office licenses for the number of users who could be using Office on the server at any one time. Purchasing one license and letting multiple users use it isn't going to (legally) cover you. The only other reason I can see for a single point of application would be for patch management...but WSUS takes care of that nicely so that's not really a concern either. As Stoic Joker said, it also becomes a single point of failure...not a good thing. Just put Office on all the desktops/laptops and be done with it. You can purchase a router with VPN capabilities to provide remote connectivity to the office so they can access documents, databases, email, etc...and that'll be an encrypted tunnel.

So, looking at your requirements I would recommend one PowerEdge 2950 to run Small Business Server 2003 R2 Premium Edition and another for File/Print Services (running Server 2003 R2, Standard Edition). Those 2950's ROCK by the way. I've worked with a couple 2900's (tower version of the 2950) and have a 2950 on the way. They're pretty fast.

I'll put together my recommended configurations later today...after I've had a few hours of sleep. :)

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

Hi

Thanks again, I will install office on all the computers then and drop TS. But what about rules for the clients who use the computers, I mean, that they are not allowed to install things, go on different websites etc. I dont want to go to each computer and setup these setting, windows update etc. I was hoping to controll all from one "server"

Thanks again, and am looking forward to the specs for the DELL 2950.