Unable to RIS Dell GX745

Has anyone succeeded in RIS installing the DELL GX745 workstations? Because I sure haven't. I was unable to find a RIS enabled inf from Broadcom to support their somewhat newer BCM57xx NIC and somehow noone else seems to be dealing with this issue. So far, I'm still stuck with the "The operating system image you selected does not contain yadayada" notification. Is there someone out there who can help me?

Many thanks in advance...

No problems with RIS on the 745s but we're working off of a new image. Now we have an issue where whenever a normal user adds a USB device, they get prompted for credentials.

What's the specific issue that you are having?

No problems with RIS on the 745s but we're working off of a new image. Now we have an issue where whenever a normal user adds a USB device, they get prompted for credentials.

The issue I'm trying to describe only involves the very start of RIS deployment, where the NIC is the bottleneck. Although the GX745 still uses a Broadcom 57xx NIC, we cannot use the flat image that has been working for the GX280 and GX620 which also use a similar Broadcom card. The helpful link below did help us in making the latter two work, but it has not yet been updated for our specific issue. Maybe everyone has moved on to using WDS/BDD apart from us.... :D

http://bink.nu/forums/10447/PrintPost.aspx

• 3 weeks later...

Is it the error: RIS couldn't find a suitable driver for your network card, during init of text-based setup?

If so, you need to add the inf,cat and sys file of the drivers to the i386 (source) dir.

Example:

RemoteInstall\Setup\Eng\Images\Windows_XP_SP1\i386

Hope this helps

-Henk

The issue I'm trying to describe only involves the very start of RIS deployment, where the NIC is the bottleneck. Although the GX745 still uses a Broadcom 57xx NIC, we cannot use the flat image that has been working for the GX280 and GX620 which also use a similar Broadcom card. The helpful link below did help us in making the latter two work, but it has not yet been updated for our specific issue. Maybe everyone has moved on to using WDS/BDD apart from us.... :D

http://bink.nu/forums/10447/PrintPost.aspx

all you have to do is edit the INF file then copy it, plus the cat/sys files to the i386 RIS server share, then restart the RIS service.

download this

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...amp;file=215648

expand it to C:\dell\drivers\R161008

once done, navigate to

c:\dell\drivers\R161008\Win2K_XP

and locate a file called

b57win32.inf

open that file with notepad.

change this bit

[Manufacturer]

%BRCM% = Broadcom, NTx86.5.1, NTx86.6.0, NTamd64

to this

[Manufacturer]

%BRCM% = Broadcom

then scroll down the file a bit and change this bit

; NDIS5.1 Install Device List ---------------------------------------------------

[broadcom.NTx86.5.1]

to this

; NDIS5.1 Install Device List ---------------------------------------------------

[broadcom]

save the file, and copy b57w2k.sys b57win32.cat b57win32.inf b57xp32.sys to the i386 share on your RIS server,

once done, restart the RIS service, and try to PXE boot again, does it work now ?

cheers

anyweb