Moving or deleting the Program Files folder

Andromeda

I am using the 64-bit version of Vista Ultimate and I want to move my Program Files folder from the C: partition to the D: partition. I searched the internet and these forums and learned that there is (currently) no known way to do this during an unattended install, so I was planning on using a method suggested by wng in a post on the Unattended Vista forums:

This is what I did:

1. I installed vista.

2. On the desktop, right click and make a shortcut

3. In the path type in CMD

4. Hit next until the shortcut is made

5. Right click and hit run as admin

6. type in cd..

7. keep doing that until you are at c:\

8. type in

mklink /d /j "Program Files1" "D:\This is the new location for my program files"

Repeat for the other directories you want to move.

ex:

mklink /d /j "Users" "F:\coolest people ever"

Then boot into another operating system. I used Bart PE.

Move the c:\program files folder to D:\This is the new location for my program files"

Then rename ProgramFiles1 to ProgramFiles

Boot into Vista :)

I created the junction Program Files1 and then booted into BartPE. I attempted to move the folder to the D: partition using the command line... "Access is denied." I then tried using the built-in GUI to move the folder, and nothing happened. As I was unable to move the folder to the D: partition; I tried instead to rename the folder but was unsuccessful in that as well. The only thing I was able to do was to copy the entire Program Files folder over to the D: drive.

I spent quite a bit of time searching the internet and these forums regarding this issue, and finally discovered that the problem was associated with permissions. There is only one user account on my computer (the "Super Administrator" account), so while logged into Vista I opened the command prompt and used the takeown command on the Program Files folder. I successfully gained ownership of the folder and all its contents, and I then used the icacls command to grant the Administrator account full control over the folder. This was successful as well, so I once again (from the command line) tried deleting the folder. "Access is denied." I tried moving the folder. "Access is denied." I then opened the Computer window and tried deleting and moving the folder there, to no avail. I rebooted the computer and tried again. Nothing. I booted into Safe Mode and tried there. No dice. I booted into BartPE and tried deleting and moving the folder. "Access is denied." Lastly, I tried using WinPE 2.0 (64-bit). "Access is denied."

I'm completely stumped. From what I see on the internet, other Vista users have been able to delete system files and folders using the takeown and icacls command. When I check the permissions on the Program Files folder using icacls, it tells me that the Administrator account has full control over the folder. I should be able to do whatever I want with the folder, and yet when I try using the command line to delete or move the folder "access is denied," and when I try to delete it via the Computer window I "need permission to perform this action."

I'm out of ideas... I'm tempted to give up, but at this point it's become about the principle of the matter; it's MY computer and I should be able to move or delete the Program Files folder if I so desire. It seems other people have been able to move, delete, or rename the Program Files folder. What am I doing wrong?

~*~Andromeda~*~

• 2 weeks later...

try this

takeown /F "your file or directory location (without quotes)" /R /A

then type

icacls "your file or directory location (without quotes)" /T /grant Administrators:(D,WDAC)

if u r login as diff user. then change username instead of administrators.

i was also facing this problem with mounted install.wim folder. i had mounted install.wim file and then forgot to unmount it. then i couldnt delete tht folder. i tried a lot, also tried as u told with by searching google. but no luck. then i played with icacls for a while and got it deleted :) .

Regards

AMIT

Edited by amit_talkin

The owner of that folder is "System", not Administrator or User. Have you tried logging in as System or taking the ownership over to your account?

afaik its impossible to login as "system" unless they changed that in vista. all you have to do is login to an account that has administrative acess and then change the permissions. thats one thing that really bugged me about vista, so i changed the all to either be owned by "administrators" or owned by me depending on how i wanted to restrict access to certain users.

Edited by Brando569

I was able to move the Vista Programs file folder with limited success.

I have Vista Ultimate 32bit.

1. I removed my Vista hard drive and connected it via USB to my XP machine.

2. I copied all Vista C:\Program files to F:\Program Files using XXCopy. Also burn a copy to a CD.

3. I compared copies for size and content to make sure they were identical.

4. I reinstalled the Vista Hard drive on the Vista machine.

5. I created a restore point.

6. I installed Resplendant registar v5.50 on the vista machine. (You can use regedit too, but its much harder).

7. In safe mode, Using the A-B replace function in I installed Resplendant registar v5.50 I changed the program files drive letter in each instance.

8. Reboot

9. Test Vista and all microsoft Apps including Outlook.

I had a problem getting Media player to start. Not sure if it was related as I did alot of other edits in the Vista registry. Please tell me your results.

But it does work.

10. If no problems are found then delete the original Vista programs file folder.

Note: I have read that this can be done during an unattended install. Which I think is the better way. Will try it soon.

I sucessfully moved the entire Users folder to another drive too.

Need to figure a way to align XP to Vistas folder structure. XP Docs & Settings to Vistas users folder style structure. So I can have one place for my pictures, oneplace for "my documents" etc...

MRGCAV@Gmail.com