Internet through electricity?

My friend says he has a thing called a "bridge" which runs his internet connection through the cable connection through his house. I was wondering what device would allow me to do this, or if this is even possible? I am currently using wireless internet and I hate it. Is there any way to speed up my connection as well? Here is my speedtest

161241901.png

I play computer games a lot and the hiccups that my connection has is killing me. Help please thanks. :rolleyes:

Edited by trvrgrz

Your wireless connection will be fine and should not be your main bottleneck. Normally nowadays you should be getting 54mbps which is way above your ISP connection of 4mbps.

Homeplug is still expensive, and will only buy you 100mbps for about £100, or 200mbps at absolute best. Only advantage is no more cables to run. A lot cheaper for now would be to hard wire rather than wireless. You can at least prove to yourself that the performance issue isn't with your wireless connection.

Well, the thing is just my house has normally 3 computers running off the router, one is hooked directly to the router. We have a lap top, and a desk top on wireless. All these at once through the router is rediculous on the speed being sent to my computer.

So initially what I am asking is how can i hook my computer up to the cable from the wall to get internet in my room and not be "wireless" so to speak. Is there a splicer of some kind I can hook to the cable on my wall and get internet through a ethernet cable and run it to my PC?

Sorry if I am not clarifying this enough. As you can see my wireless is not that bad, but the random hiccups cause me lag spikes and gamers just can't have that.

-T

I very much doubt that the hiccups are anything to do with your wireless connection, but entirely to do with your connection from the exchange to where the telephone line enters your house. With 3 computers sharing the line, if all are on the internet at the same time then your speed will be divided by three. It matters not where you split that connection, it will only ever be capable of the speed your paying your ISP for. Pay more to your ISP to have greater bandwidth, or a connection more suited to gaming - ISPs offer products for different uses, perhaps you're on the wrong scheme.

So initially what I am asking is how can i hook my computer up to the cable from the wall to get internet in my room and not be "wireless" so to speak. Is there a splicer of some kind I can hook to the cable on my wall and get internet through a ethernet cable and run it to my PC?

Do you mean 1. the ADSL enabled telephone point in the wall, 2. the broadband cable connection in your wall, or 3. the RJ45 connection in your wall?

1. You'd need another ADSL line & router/ modem to get full ADSL speed dedicated to yourself

2. By your speed test i'd assume you dont have cable

3. Splitting RJ45 can be done but doesn't really work, due to interference across the wires. It'd be worse than wireless. Convert the single socket into double.

If you're thinking about running a wire from your main telephone socket, why don't you run a RJ45 lead intead and plug into the router?

Best performance and cheapest way is to buy a long enough RJ45 cable and plug your PC directly into your router. Better than that buy the bits and hardwire RJ45 between the rooms using proper sockets.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?Module...O&U=strat15

The most expensive, in-between performance yet most convenient method is to buy a homeplug kit for just over £100. Plug in both ends to your mains sockets and from either end plug RJ45 cables, 1 to your PC and one to your router.

http://www.broadbandbuyer.co.uk/Shop/ShopD...?ProductID=4744

Is your friend talking about a wireless bridge between 2 points? Sounds to me like he's talkin out of his a**.

Your posts are BEYOND helpful, thank you soooo much. Given me a couple of ideas. But, I think I have one more question.

This socket right here: http://www.stevelarkins.freeuk.com/images/tv_wall_socket.jpg

I use that to watch cable on my TV, but its right next to my computer, and I really don't watch TV at all. Is there anything I can set up with this socket on my wall to get internet directly, instead of wireless? Agains sorry if I havn't clarified very well, but I'm trying my best in my own words.

I really am considering the homeplug kit though. Looks to me like it would be easiest.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/drives/95ec/

those are available, however its just expensive. could i suggest a wireless range extender? boosts up to another 300 feet, in a house it will make it much better for wireless. my wifi is just under my room so i don't have a problem, and even my sister doesn't have a problem across the house upstairs in her room.

I'd hard wire between your PC and your router first anyway just to see if the connection improves (using a long RJ45 patch lead).

That outlet socket is Coax/ RF. whilst you might get away with just wiring up two wires to convert to RJ45 - I can't find anyone that sells converters. I did find mention of running video signal through RJ45 and people were saying that maybe cat7 was up to it.

It'd be good if you could run Cat5 cable between those TV sockets and change the faceplates to RJ45 - is that not possible? That'd be your best option for speed/reliability.

Again, homeplug would be so much less hassle. Hopefully the price will come down soon.

Edited by m8rk