Problem With Remote Desktop

Brando569

whenever i try to login to my computer via remote desktop (when im still logged in there) it says "unable to log you in because of account restrictions". i havent placed any restrictions on myself that i know of and when i login as admin it says that it will login my user (bran) off if i continue. i have secondary login, terminal services and a few other services running that i believe i would need. what could be causing this???

If your question is why can't bran log in via remote desktop, that user must be a member of either the Administrators group or the Remote Desktop Users group. Check in lusrmgr.msc. If the problem is that you must disconnect (not log off though...) one user to RDP in as another user, that's expected behavior. You see, in Windows XP, there can only be one active session at once. So, a remote user cannot be logged in at the same time as a local user. In Windows Server, you can have multiple active sessions at once.

im in the admin group on both PCs, i guess the way remote desktop is set up in vista is different then it is in xp? cuz in vista i could be logged onto my computer then go downstairs, and think "**** i forgot something" and RD in, and get the stuff that i needed without logging myself out on my computer.

if i have to log myself out each time to take advantage of RD in XP, i think its not really worth it. there isnt any way i could be logged in on my computer then go downstairs and login to my pc remotely if i forgot something? would i have to create a separate user?

Well, 1st make sure remote desktop is allowed. Then, make sure that Fat User Switching is on, or, go to

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microswoft\WindowsNT\Current Version\Winlogon and make sure that AllowMultipleTSSessions is set to 1. Then you should be able to do it.

If the problem is that you must disconnect (not log off though...) one user to RDP in as another user, that's expected behavior. You see, in Windows XP, there can only be one active session at once. So, a remote user cannot be logged in at the same time as a local user.

If the computer is a member of a domain it will logoff the console user if you remote into it. You can't have multiple sessions (disconnected or otherwise) on an XP Pro machine that is a member of a domain. However, if you're remoting in as the same user, then you will simply connect to the console session (and the console will be locked so no one else can login).

You can, however, still be booted out by another administrator. :)

1. It's my testing/learning environment. :)

2. I have kids. Although they're both way too young (6 and 1) to be trying anything right now...I'm getting a headstart because it won't be long.

3. I can control the security of my entire network much easier.

What's overkill to you is perfectly rational to me. :D I have plans to integrate WSUS 3.0, ISA Server, SMS Server and Exchange Server (internal only) at some point. :thumbup

i found my problem, it was because "bran" on both computers didnt have a password. i tried to rd from my computer to my dads and it said the same thing, so i created a password on my computer and tried to rd into it from my dads and voila! it worked.

Edited by Brando569