How to Burn Windows XP WIM to DVD? Help..

paper

Ok.. should be simple but for some reason I'm not getting the right results. :no:

Am I doing this right?

I have a winxp.wim that I created that is working image (i've tested by applying it across the network).

Now I just want to make it into a bootable DVD so I can just use the DVD to image a computer.

What I did was create folders like so:

c:\winxp

c:\winxp\ISO

where the ISO folders contain all those boot files: ETFSBoot.com, etc..

I renamed winxp.wim to boot.wim and replaced the one in c:\winxp\ISO\sources

then ran:

oscdimg -n -h -bc:\winxp\etfsboot.com c:\winxp\iso c:\winxp\winxp.iso

Is this right? Becauuse it tries to load the files but then gives a boot error saying required device is not accessible..

You are not going to be able to create a bootable setup DVD like Vista has, nor will you be able to create a "traditional" install DVD doing this either.

What you are going to need to create is a WinPE DVD that sets up your disk partitioning and applies your WIM. You were on the right track it seems, but you replaced boot.wim (WinPE) with your XP image.

Ok.. thanks for the replies guys.

Let me get this straight.. I need to include winpe in there somewhere so how do I make the connection from WINPE to the Windows XP Image itself?

In these folders:

where the ISO folders contain all those boot files: ETFSBoot.com, etc..

Replace boot.wim with WINPE.wim (instead?) at c:\winxp\ISO\sources

But then.. what do I do with WinXP.wim? This WIM is the actual captured image of a computer that has XP. So it's not an OS only install but includes drivers, additional apps, etc as well.

Do I just drop the WIM in the ISO folder? Or is there more to it? Do I need to do an imagex /append or mount it and do something with it?

Thanks for the help so far.. all the tutorials I saw for oscdimg involved burning WINPE to a CD and I wasn't sure how that related to the creating a dvd for the actual install image itself. I'm slow, I know. :yes:

can you really make a bootable DVD from a Windows XP WIM file? Did you take a snapshot of the system and sysprepped it? If so, would the bootable DVD automatically apply that image using imageX? If that can be done, that would be cool, although it probably could if you made a WinPE 2.0 DVD and included the WIM file in the ISO.

wow sweet, that looks super useful! i always wondered why MS didn't think of a guide for XP for WDS as well as the Vista one. :yes:

I think I sort of have the general idea.. but now I think I'm stuck again. :unsure:

Here's what I did.

xcopy c:\winpe\winpe.wim c:\winpe\iso\sources\boot.wim /y

Copy WINXP.WIM to c:\winpe\iso

oscdimg -n -m -h -bc:\winpe\etfsboot.com c:\winpe\iso c:\winpe\winpe.iso

burned to dvd..

I tried to boot it.. it got to the black screen and loading progress bar

After that it threw an error on WINLOAD.EXE - saying:

windows\system32\boot\winload.exe

0xc000000f

The selected entry could not be loaded because the application is missing or corrupt.

Is this just an issue of me including a bad image or am I just doing this plain wrong or am I missing a step?

If this is generally right.. then I guess I need to go back and format the WINPE correctly?

Weird thing is, everything works perfectly on the network. For the WINPE.WIM.. I just extracted the image from the existing one we had on the server.. so I thought it would be ok. I also extracted WINXP.WIM from an existing install image we had on the server as well...

How about you actually create a WinPE 2.0 wim file, and just add one more wim file to the image you are going to create in the root of your winpe folder (i believe yours was c:\winxp) and then before creating the image, edit startnet.cmd (you will have to mount the boot.wim) file and call a diskpart script to format the first partition. Then, you can apply the image to the c: drive using imagex /apply. That should work.

You can edit startnet.cmd to actually call the diskpart script and apply the image all automatically. This website, http://www.svrops.com/svrops/articles/winvistape2.htm, helps getting you started, but you'll need more information on diskpart to tweak its settings.

Edited by tap52384

i'm in the process of redoing the winpe right now.. so I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

Iceman, I was looking at your paper, and while it's great.. it looks like when this loads, I'll need to type in commands to diskpart and all that.

I was hoping to somehow "use" the GUI of the Capture WinPE with this to make it easier for the user to step thru (instead of having to type the commands out to format, etc.). The reason being is I'm creating this DVD for the service desks folks at another site who'd know NOTHING about typing in commands. They just want to pop in a DVD and click "next". :yes:

If I sound confusing I mean..

In the WDS Server, you click start>all programs>Admin Tools>Windows Deployment Services

It should list the WDS Server and expanding the tree, you should see a Boot Image folder.

Expand that, and my WinPE.wim (which does the capture) is loaded there as well as Boot.wim (which does the apply image)

Now when I right click WinPE.wim and select "create Capture Image" it creates a 2nd winpe.wim. So now I have 3 WIMs sitting in the boot folder.

The 2nd Winpe.wim is different in this case, if I select this option upon network boot, it pulls up a nice "wizard" type view that lets you capture image and partition/format the drives by just clicking a few options (instead of typing them), put the image in the right folder and all that good stuff.

Have you guys done something like this before.. incorporating the "wizard" view of it on a dvd?

After I'm done with buring the DVD i'm making now per Iceman's instructions.. I was going to try to see if I could export the "capture winpe.wim" and replace boot.wim with that (instead of using the original winpe.wim) and see if it would work..

Would this be possible? :huh:

oh and 1 thing i'm still confused about.. probably a dumb question :blushing: .. but whats the difference from boot.wim and winpe.wim?

From my limited experience, it looked like winpe.wim handles the image capture while boot.wim handles the image install?

If this is right, then why am I putting winpe.wim in the iso instead of the original boot.wim?

I'm not sure why the WAIK gives you both .wim's because they're basically the same except for the fact that boot.wim is bootable. I usually just delete winpe.wim and edit boot.wim. I'm not sure where you are getting the capture and apply differences for them. The wim's have nothing to do with capturing and applying images, only imagex.exe is involved in that.

:o oh ok. huh. So instead of winpe, you edited boot instead..

hmmm..

i redid the winpe.. and now it won't even boot at all. funny.

my 2nd try it at least booted and loaded and then it got an error.

but this time (my 3rd try) it didn't even go there.. it stayed stuck after BIOS was installed succesfully..

Well.. ok.. trying to redo it again this time using boot.wim. :}

btw.. when you copy the image.wim to the ISO folder.. do you need to rename it anything special (like install.wim)? or does that not matter..

Edited by paper

It doesn't matter what its called as long as its not named boot.wim and in the sources directory.

As far as your image not working. Are you mounting it or applying and then capturing it?

If you're mounting winpe.wim its not going to boot because the original wim was not captured as bootable. Apply the winpe image, make your changes and capture the image using the /boot parameter. Alternatively, you can just mount the boot.wim image and make changes because it is already bootable.

Edited by zorphnog