Adding memory - how much?

Rocky RR

My motherboard has 4 slots for memory boards. I now have a total of 2 GB's (1 GB in each of 2 slots, leaving 2 vacant slots). It's my understanding that my 32 bit system (I have an Intel mother board and my OS is Vista Business) can not support 4 GB's. Can I add just one more 1 GB board in one of the remaining slots? What would happen if I added 2 GB's in the remaining 2 slots?

You can have up to 4Gb on a 32bit system, however the issue arrises when you do put 4Gb on a 32bit system in that other resources also make use of the address space, and you have no control over this. So what tends to happen is you end up with about 3.2Gb of usable memory or there abouts, so you still have more than you would from just 3Gb (most of the time).

If I were you I'd do what I did with mine, and had 2 sticks of 1Gb paired up and 2 sticks of 512mb paired up, that way you pretty much get all the memory you've paid for and it's still more than most home users currently need.

another thing to think about is if you are willing to go to 64x bit Vista, if that is the case having 4 gig would not be a bad idea, granted in 32 bit you will probably see 3.5 at the best, but getting 4 gig will leave you better prepared to move to a 64 bit OS. plus the price difference can't be that great anymore

Sorry if I stuck in this post but... As far as I run a x64 Vista (2 Gb RAM @ 800Mhz) and I noticed that Vista tend to use something like 30-35% of my RAM all the times, is it a good idea to upgrade to 3 or 4 Gb?

TK you :)