graphics problem, trying to integrate driver....

lumpmonkey

Hi everyone,

I have an unusual vista install problem, I'm having trouble installing Vista using the graphics card I have.

I have a Sony XL100, basically a HTPC with a HDMI & Component out graphics card. I'm using the component out feature on a fairly old, but high quality 36" CRT. The problem occurs whilst installing the operating system (same happens on XP), after the first reboot the graphics settings aren't liked by my TV, causing it to go blue screen. On XP, I was able to tell it to boot into "VGA mode", and it defaulted to a res that allowed me to complete the install and get the proper nvidia drivers in. Once the drivers are in I can ramp the res right up to HD level.

Unfortunately it seems in Vista that the low res boot option isn't quite as low res as XP! I still get the blue screen and cannot complete the install. It copies the files over ok, but after the first reboot (normally when time zones, logon details etc are set) it goes blank.

This is where Vlite hopefully comes in!! I used the software to insert the correct nvidia driver, and selected an option to take out all the other drivers ( I think). However it doesn't seem to have had any effect.

The question I have is, do the inserted drivers take effect immediately or are they installed only once the OS has been fully integrated & setup?

Any advice appreciated, I've run out of ideas now!

Thanks,

Andy

It installs it before the first logon so you might be in luck.

However test it first, don't format your working partition or something, be prepared to redo your CD/DVD, use RW.

Also let me know how it goes.

Hi thanks for the reply,

I don't think the install gets far enough, it doesn't even get to the stage where it asks for user input like time zones, user names etc. I get through the first file copying and initialising stage, then goes blank after the reboot.

I'll have another go and see what happens, one thing I haven't tried yet is doing just an upgrade from xp instead of a clean install, but I guess since Vista uses a different driver base to XP it'll have the same problem?

Unfortunately it seems I have an unfortunate and rare hardware combination! Will post back with any success.

Thanks,

Andy

Vista detects the hardware after the first reboot, at the Completing Installation, if I understood you correctly you don't see anything then. Check if your hdd shows some activity and wait until it finishes, you won't need to enter anything. Remember to integrate a WHQL, non-beta driver if you want it to install without a popup.

Vista won't pull your XP Display driver, it uses different ones.

Yes when it gets to completing stage mine goes completly bank for ages, but vista is still installing! eventually on the first boot it will load fine.

so vista still installs while the screen is blank just wait for it lol