dotnetfx2.exe

cincyhp

Hi...

I have to install dotnetfx2.exe in order to load my practice management software.

I am installing on 2 desktops.

First desktop--no problem.

THIS desktop: in the midst of the installation process, it just disappears!

I just cannot get it to install.

Any ideas?

(I am not very computer literate, but I can handle basic things...)

Thanks for any help...

Rick

Cincinnati

Thanks for trying to help.....

I have tried installing from a couple of sources. The same thing always happens: the "installation" merely disappears from the screen before I have the opportunity to click on "install"....

Of my three computers, I've installed it from the link from the software company on two of them.

The third computer: it just "disappears"....

Like something important is missing from this new computer (a 6 month old Dimension 9200 from Dell)...

Rick

Well, miracles do happen...

I started to explore your suggestion; then I thought, what the heck, just in case, I updated and ran all of my scans from registry cleaner to spyware detector to anti-virus. Ran it all.

THEN, tried to install the dotnetfx2.exe and IT INSTALLED!!!!!!

So, I am home clear....

THANK YOU for helping me...

I really appreciate it--this is the first time I've been on a help forum. This is fabulous!

Rick Singel

Cincinnati

Glad to hear it worked.

Just a word of warning - I never use a registry cleaner. In my experience, they cause more harm than good, and the performance benefits are negligible at best.

Just a word of warning - I never use a registry cleaner. In my experience, they cause more harm than good, and the performance benefits are negligible at best.

It depends on the registry cleaner you use, honestly and seriously. Each registry cleaner is built upon the same principle, however, some abide by different "rules" or "policies" to determine what a valid and invalid registry entry are. How is this so? The programmer who made the product. Just like anti-virus and anti-spyware, registry cleaners will come up with false positives. It's actually quite difficult for any product of this kind to have 0 false positives.

I've used dozens of cleaner, both in my local and virtual environment. In 2005, jv16 was one of the worst registry cleaners you could use, it would break many software installs, such as Device Manager and VMware Workstation. Nowadays, in the beautifully crafted 2007 final, the product is just superb. I've been using it since 2005 and I haven't had it break a single piece of software (and I compare a lot of software) since 2005's version was significantly improved.

Your system is constantly processing thousands upon thousands of registry requests/queries. Just use RegMon and monitor your system for 10 seconds when you have a lot of software upon, downloading, writing to the disk, etc...

Your registry hives are typically 15-30MBs in size combined. When you do a typical registry scan after not doing one for several months, you could remove anywhere from 10-50KB worth of registry entries. This likely will not yield any performance gain, until you defragment your registry, which jv16 has a built-in feature for this that Zxian has confirmed ages ago works better than the NTRegOpt utility which is freeware.

If you defragment your registry (remove all the empty gaps left behind from removed keys/entries), you could notice anywhere from a 3-10% increase of performance because it takes your system less time overall to go through so many requests in such a short amount of time.

It's just another step to getting organized and squeezing a bit more out of your potential for performance. :thumbup