What Are Some Bad Temp Ranges I Should Be Looking Out For?

Brando569

I'm fairly new to overclocking, ive done it before occasionally on my other boards/processors but never really realized how complex and intricate it was until I read "The" Guide to AMD64 overclocking on DIY street lastnight. I downloaded all the tools he listed in that thread and currently have everest ultimate running to monitor my temps. I noticed last night that when I had the "optimized settings" loaded on my DFI LanParty (NF4) Ultra-D, that my cpu (amd 62 x2 4200) was running around 126-130 degrees F under barely any load, so I went in to the bios and lowered the vcore from 1.35v down to 1.25v and now its running around 90 degrees, which is was I was used to when I was using my Asus A8N-SLI.

I dont really know the "bad" temp ranges to look out for, only that my cpu temp was really high since I had only seen it that high before when I was playing Doom3 or UT2004 for hours on end when I had my asus board. I do remember seeing on the amd website about the temp range for my processor being 140-160 degrees, but im not really sure what that means.

I was just wondering about what temps i should be looking out for, currently my motherboard is at 115 degrees, my cpu is 93 degrees and my GPU is at 140 degrees (all Im doing is watching videos on my computer). I dont really have any special cooling except for my homemade A/C ducting rig (which doesnt seem to be that effective according to everest :lol:) and my thermaltake polo 3 in 1 heatsink. my case is also pretty old, it only has one fan which is set up as an exhaust fan in the front of the case (the cool air from the AC comes in the back). I'm in the process of ordering another fan, and once I get enough money I should be ordering one of thermaltakes cases that has watercooling built in.

I attached a sensor report from everest for even more detail for those who care to look at it

Thanks

everest_sensor_report.txt

lets go by celsius.

130F=54C, now for idle that is really high.

90F=32C, which is perfect for idle, my proc runs ~30C idle.

if your proc ever gets above 60C, i would be very worried.

if you really want to overclock then get a better heatsink, your current one is crap.

looking at that everest report, if those are all idle temps, then they are fairly high. you really need to get that second fan...

you're thinking of the thermaltake case, don't do it. just get a nice case with enough room to put in a good watercooling system.

this here is an excellent watercooling kit.

http://www.petrastechshop.com/pecoel.html

Edited by ripken204

Just be warned - when you lower VCore too much, you might run into stability troubles. I'd run a few bouts of Prime95 for at least 12 hours to make sure that everything is still alright. It probably will (you can generally undervolt stock AMD's a fair bit), but you'll want to make sure.

I'd also just recommend getting a decent sized case and an aftermarket watercooling system - if you're really that crazy. To me - water and computers should never mix... but that's just me.

I'd personally get the Antec P182. It's an improved version of the P180, and it's got built in holes for watercooling tubes out to a radiator if you care to go that way.

lets go by celsius.

130F=54C, now for idle that is really high.

90F=32C, which is perfect for idle, my proc runs ~30C idle.

if your proc ever gets above 60C, i would be very worried.

yea those are idle temps (all i was doing was watching a video). what about the motherboard and gpu temps, do they seem in range? the gpu temp seems extremely high to me...

if you really want to overclock then get a better heatsink, your current one is crap.

any recommendations?

looking at that everest report, if those are all idle temps, then they are fairly high. you really need to get that second fan...

yea i just ordered one last night, the case only has space for 2 though :(

you're thinking of the thermaltake case, don't do it. just get a nice case with enough room to put in a good watercooling system.

this here is an excellent watercooling kit.

http://www.petrastechshop.com/pecoel.html

it looked like a good case, i always though thermaltake made quality stuff?? the thing is im afraid that if i did the watercooling myself i would screw something up and end up frying something :unsure: (edit) wow i just looked at the price for that, thats $30 over the price for the entire thermaltake case i was gonna get!

To me - water and computers should never mix... but that's just me.

thats they way i kind of feel too, but it seems like not very many people have problems with them. plus its a lot quiter and more efficient then fans.

Edited by Brando569

zxian - ya i wish i had the p182, but i only have the original p180, they have made soo many impovements! i want to go water with the next computer i get, hopefully sometime this year.

brando - what case are you looking at? the Thermaltake Tai Chi? im seeing it for ~400$ w/ water. the water cooling components that is uses isnt that good. the petratech kit is AMAZING. most kits suck but petra but together a kit of the best of the best.

what gfx card do you have? that is high for idle. my 7800gt doesnt even reach that at load. i also have a nice heatsink on that.

for the cpu, i have a scythe ninja keeping my proc around 30C idle, its about 40$. there are better heatsink but they are about 60$ with only a few degrees difference.

you hdds are high also, only thing to do for them is to get air going by them. i have a fan in front of mine and they stay below 30C.

the northbridges can take alot of heat so i wouldnt worry about it too mcuh

for the mobo, just get air going onto it, thats about it.

brando - what case are you looking at? the Thermaltake Tai Chi? im seeing it for ~400$ w/ water. the water cooling components that is uses isnt that good. the petratech kit is AMAZING. most kits suck but petra but together a kit of the best of the best.

i was looking at the Kandalf LCS or the armor LCS

what gfx card do you have? that is high for idle. my 7800gt doesnt even reach that at load. i also have a nice heatsink on that.

for the cpu, i have a scythe ninja keeping my proc around 30C idle, its about 40$. there are better heatsink but they are about 60$ with only a few degrees difference.

its the 7600gs

you hdds are high also, only thing to do for them is to get air going by them. i have a fan in front of mine and they stay below 30C.

the matxor 60y080mo (diamond max +9 SATA) has always been high, ive had various programs scream at me cuz the temp was too high, the other HDD is a WD 800JB and that is a reasonable temp

oops, put the wrong kit down.

this is the same thing plus a gfx card heatsink!

http://www.petrastechshop.com/pecogpuel.html

thats even worse! :blink:

these are the temp results after running prime 95 for 6+ hours (it only took up half the cpu load) with the house fan on full blast:

Temperatures:

Motherboard 43 °C (109 °F)

CPU 38 °C (100 °F)

CPU #1 / Core #1 37 °C (99 °F)

CPU #1 / Core #2 46 °C (115 °F)

North Bridge 39 °C (102 °F)

GPU 53 °C (127 °F)

Maxtor 6Y080M0 35 °C (95 °F)

the highest CPU temp i saw was 106F and that was running Super Pi at 32m and prime95 at the same time (100% cpu load)

Edited by Brando569

ive never seen the Kandalf LCS before.. for the price that is amazing! the components are about average, nothing special, but again, the price! you will still ned to get a gfx card block tho. its funny how they have a triple rad with only one block..

Edited by ripken204

so are you taking back what you said earlier? :lol: i dont need a hardcore water cooling system, just something average. if i got the case i would get a GFX card block and a block for my HDDs, and probably one for the RAM also. i was just thinking about this, do they have blocks available for the southbridge? i imagine they do , i might as well get one of those too and then ill be set

as soon as i saw the kandalf i was like "wow this thing is awesome!" and i noticed that w/o the water cooling system it was only $50 less so i was thinking why would i not get the water cooling setup?? it would kind of be dumb not to, now all i need is the money :lol:

edit: another thing i just thought of, are the pumps loud? i dont even know anyone that has a water cooling system

Edited by Brando569

that sounds good. i am crazy and most people here know that. i am definatly going to go water for my next computer. i would right now but there is no way that my scythe ninja will be coming off of my motherboard...