Jump to content


  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Donations

    0.00 USD 
  • Country


Everything posted by tomzi

  1. You mean WINNT32.EXE considers these files invalid? I'm sure that otherwise it's perfectly OK to create files like these. I believe the number is somewhere between 10 and 20. In my setup they were probably part of either the WMP11 or the IE7 update (as removing these made the errors disappear), therefore in order to rename them one would have to do so within these packages.
  2. Similar problem here: winnt.exe launched installation of XP (SP0) with slipstreamed SP3, results in an unbootable system (BSOD after boot selection) after the last reboot of the setup. CD based setup of the same on a VM works fine. If IE7 and WMP11 updates are integrated, 'setup could not copy' errors for several files (all with long filenames) are thrown in great numbers during the text (blue) setup phase, these errors are gone if the updates are removed. I haven't checked setuplog.txt - is it possible that there're more copy errors even if the setup hasn't reported any? I included a raid driver, removed components, changed service startup settings, applied no patches - I might have to try reducing the number of these changes. Ah, and my unattended settings were mostly ignored (licence key, language & location, name & company).
  3. Old thread but interesting, at least for me because I'm having the same problem. I'm trying to install XP Pro with slipstreamed SP3 on a desktop pc without a cd drive, launching winnt.exe from a DOS (Win98SE) partition. Here are my experiences: I had the same copy error messages for files when I included IE7 and WMP11 updates with NLite. I immediately thought of the possibility of an LFN problem, though I have no proof that it is really the cause. I checked the directory where the setup program copied these files and noticed that their name was truncated to 8+3. Maybe the setup was complaining when it tried to verify these files and didn't find them at the destination? The errors disappeared when I removed the updates. After skipping the copy errors I booted into XP (on another partition) and copied the files from my install source to the directory created by win setup. Then I resumed the installation and it followed through until the last reboot without errors, but there something else went wrong and the system refused to boot (BSOD every time). I don't know if this had anything to do with the long filenames because the BSODs remained even after I removed the updates from the installation and did a reinstall. I haven't removed the above mentioned manual install and update component. In a DOS-launched installation without updates but with components removed and service startup settings changed, most of my unattended install settings disappeared, ie I had to enter the serial key, select languages and location. This installation worked when started from CD in a VM. Same installation refused to boot after the last reboot during the setup, it's near-immediate BSOD after boot selection. Next I'll see what happens if I don't kill any system components.
  4. Thank you for your reply, but with all respect, I think I'd mentioned that reinstalling would be the easiest option. I was just trying to satisfy my curiosity as to how to solve above problem. In fact, I've already slipstreamed and installed SP3 a couple of times.
  5. I'd like to ask for insights from the knowledgeable members of this forum on following matter before I resort to a full reinstall of my XP. I had an nlite'd XP SP2 (firewall removed, etc), network working perfectly in and out, and one day I decided to install SP3 over it. It completed fine, but after a few days I noticed that the pc stopped responding to incoming ping requests and remote desktop connections. I uninstalled the 3rd party firewall I had, suspecting a misconfiguration or bug causing this, but it didn't help. I'm still having unhindered outgoing traffic, but the pc is not responding to any incoming connections. It's as if windows firewall was still "protecting" my machine. Because I removed the firewall service, I can't even try starting or configuring the firewall, and therefore I don't really know if its presence is the cause or not. I think the simplest solution will be to reinstall XP, this time with a slipstreamed SP3. Before I do this, I'd still like to know whether someone could give me some clues how to find out what the matter really is?
  6. I had the same problem, and the solution described in post #2 worked perfectly. The culprit was the netbios driver. I did, however, not change the tcp/ip sync limit, therefore I think it probably doesn't matter. I also noticed something I don't find perfectly logical: using the same settings for removing drivers and services, but changing the service startup states, sometimes the netbios driver startup would be set to system, sometimes to disabled. When I left the startup state for services all on default, the netbios driver would be configured to startup automatically, when, however, I changed several services (dhcp disabled, etc), the netbios driver would be disabled by default. I couldn't pinpoint the settings for exactly which services had an effect on the driver startup state, I stopped searching for it when I found out how to solve the issue.

  • Create New...