What the bleep! Can't install DirectX 9.0c with 98Lite'ed

RJARRRPCGP

After installing a 98Lite'ed Windows 98 SE with the "Chubby" option, when I want to install DirectX 9.0c, I get the error message about the fact that a cabinet file can't be trusted!! :realmad: This is even when the DirectX 9.0c installer isn't corrupted!! :realmad:

Is there any fix for this?

Thanks! Because I was forced to redo Windows just to install DirectX 9.0c! I didn't use the search, because appeared that I was the only one with this problem and sometimes when I use the message board search option, I don't get anywhere! :(

I thought that the digital signature stuff didn't exist in a pre-Windows 2000 version.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the same boat as RJARRRPCGP.

I've installed the 98SEpreDX9.inf file for 98SE, and I still get the same nonsense about a cabinet file not being trusted.

The thing is, I'm *almost* positive I've installed 9.0c on a 98lite (98SE base) before. Almost...

Anyway, if anyone can offer guidance, I'd very much appreciate it.

I'm using 98SE as a base, 95b as the GUI, and used the free version of 98lite 4.5 (I assume the later versions of 98lite don't have a free download available? Would the version of 98lite make a difference?)

EDIT: I've come across one or two references on message boards that seem to indicate that there are a few versions of DirectX 9.0c running around. Perhaps the earlier versions didn't do this cryptography nonsense? I haven't found anything definitive, though.

Edited by King_V

Came across an explanation here, although I don't know how safe it is.

Basically, have the directx9.0b and directx9.0c redistributables extracted each into their own folders (so each folder will have a setup.exe, cab files, etc).

Use dxerad to wipe any and all versions of directx from your system (don't know if that's a good/safe idea, the info I found states some errors may occur).

Then copy the .cab files from the 9.0c folder to the 9.0b folder, overwriting the 9.0b .cab files.

Then use the setup.exe in the 9.0b folder.

The author of that post I linked to claims it works . . but I don't know if there might be any small details that he/she didn't catch.

I might try it on a spare system, if I can't get it to go in normally by doing it right after a clean 98lite/sleek install.

Ok, I tried that method (using the 9.0b dxsetup.exe with the 9.0c .cab files), and it *seems* to have worked.

I haven't done any extensive testing, nor do I really know how. Dxdiag shows that I have version 9.0c, and there's definitely several files in the Directx files tab listed that have a date-stamp later than the date of 9.0b

Still, I don't know 100% if it's right or not. But if the setup program normally just extracts ALL files from the appropriate cabs, then I think I'm okay.

Of course, now there's a directx_dec2005_redist.exe available, and it has a whole bunch of extra .cab files. And, as well, it gave me the same problems about not being able to trust the files.

Ah well . . at least I have a fairly recent version of DirectX 9.0c in my system... I think.

Still, I think that from now on, I'll try installing DX9c right after a fresh install of the OS.

Came across an explanation here, although I don't know how safe it is.

Basically, have the directx9.0b and directx9.0c redistributables extracted each into their own folders (so each folder will have a setup.exe, cab files, etc).

Use dxerad to wipe any and all versions of directx from your system (don't know if that's a good/safe idea, the info I found states some errors may occur).

Then copy the .cab files from the 9.0c folder to the 9.0b folder, overwriting the 9.0b .cab files.

Then use the setup.exe in the 9.0b folder.

The author of that post I linked to claims it works . . but I don't know if there might be any small details that he/she didn't catch.

I might try it on a spare system, if I can't get it to go in normally by doing it right after a clean 98lite/sleek install.

I don't recommend that, because there's probably 2 different versions of files mixed!

Edited by RJARRRPCGP

I don't recommend that, because there's probably 2 different versions of files mixed!

I thought about that, but then again, aren't all the DirectX files taken straight from the .cab files? The dxsetup.exe file doesn't actually contribute anything, it just does the grunt work, right? I hope....

I'm not sure how DSETUP.dll and dsetup32.dll work into the scheme, though.

I thought about that, but then again, aren't all the DirectX files taken straight from the .cab files? The dxsetup.exe file doesn't actually contribute anything, it just does the grunt work, right? I hope....

I'm not sure how DSETUP.dll and dsetup32.dll work into the scheme, though.

I'm almost positive that I did at least install DirectX 9.0b successfully. :( It's probably just DirectX 9.0c that's giving me major problems! :(

Yep, that's probably why using the 9.0b setup program works . . the 9.0b setup program doesn't bother with any of this cryptography crap. Give it the .cab files from 9.0c and it won't know the difference.

The only thing is, you have to remove your existing DirectX 9 first for this to work (I tried without taking that step, no luck)

Yep, that's probably why using the 9.0b setup program works . . the 9.0b setup program doesn't bother with any of this cryptography crap. Give it the .cab files from 9.0c and it won't know the difference.

The only thing is, you have to remove your existing DirectX 9 first for this to work (I tried without taking that step, no luck)

What about if I did it under a fresh Windows 98 SE installation without DirectX 9. Would I be required to remove DirectX 6.1 by hand or get 98 Lite Pro 4.7?

To be honest, I haven't tried that, so I'd only be guessing.

I would *assume* that it would work because the installer thinks you're trying to upgrade from 6.1 to 9.0b, so everything *should* work. But you'll know right away if it doesn't, as the installation simply doesn't do anything when it fails.

However, I think the reason I had to use dxerad was because I'd already installed 9.0b, and while I was technically upgrading to 9.0c using that trick, since it's a 9.0b installer, it probably checked, saw that 9.0b was already there, and figured there was nothing to do.

That's all just a semi-educated guess on my part, though.

• 2 years later...

I've always just download the redistributable and installed it over whatever version of DirectX I had. The last version of DirectX which worked on Windows 98 and ME is directx_dec2005_redist.exe which is actually the Dec 2006 version.

Because of the way I Install things I do not remember if it extracts to a folder which creates a cab folder as well or if it just installs without any indication of a cab folder.